Re: ASUS M3N78-EM Motherboard (NVidia + ALC1200) - HDMI Audio not working

On Wednesday 13 May 2009, Scott Barlow wrote:

> setup correctly.  When using HDMI, it would not be displayed correctly, then

I guess you've already tried to fix that problem using "nvidia-settings"
and nvidia-xconfig before playing with the EDID, right? 8-)

> when using VGA it would be.  I used the NVidia tool to save the EDID file
> when I had the VGA plugged in since it worked well with it.  Then I load
> that EDID file in the xorg.conf file via adding an option to devices,
> "options "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/path/to/edid.bin"

that's one of the problems, then.

The EDID from VGA does not include the extension block - at least,
obviously it does (should...) not show the "hdmi audio" capability.

Thus the nVidia driver disable the audio-over-hdmi feature.

I had a somewhat related problem (though the other way around).

At first I had an ATI HD4550 which included its own audio interface for
audio over HDMI and it did work perfectly... for the audio. Not so well
for video, unfortunately (usual troubles with ATI cards & drivers: sort
of works, but way too much left to be desired, plus bugs causing system
lookups - too bad).

So I replaced it with an ASUS 9400 silent (PCIe). Now video is fine, but
no audio. Problem is, as all (AFAIK) nvidia-based cards, it does not have
on-board audio but rather just an header to be connected to an s/pdif out
header on the M/B. Unfortunately my mobo (Intel DP35DP) does not have any
such header (it does have only an external optical out). Thus I can't send
audio over HDMI. :-(

I thought OK, who care... let' use analogue. But, guess what... no way.

My HDTV is a Samsung which does automatically disable analog input if it
senses an audio-capable HDMI connection. On the other end, nVidia driver
automatically enable audio-over-hdmi if the other end reports (via EDID)
to be able to receive audio over hdmi. So I've got to a dead end: no way
to send audio-over-hdmi and no way to use analogue in, either. ~:-/

Eventually, after endless search on Google and various forums I have
found a workaround.

I had to download the EDID, patch it to remove the audio capability
(somewhere on the net -was it on this list?- there is a nice little
bit of C code which does that automagically) and then use "CustomEDID"
to load that version.

This way I have been able to disable the audio over hdmi feature on
the nVidia and thus be able to use the analog input on the TV.

That is, just about the opposite of what you need... :-)

Back to your problem, what you need may be to use the EDID from HDMI
connection and patch it to fix the video part... or else the other way
around, i.e. add the extension block with audio capability to the EDID
you've got from VGA. Either way it *should* work.

> HDMI plug, rebooted, and my resolution is perfect with HDMI.  NOTE HOWEVER,
> that I've tried the audio both with and without using this customEDID
> option.  When it is not used, the resolution is not quite correct and the
> audio still does not work.

strange...

you should check the EDID from HDMI, then. Verify if it does include
the extension block with proper audio capabilities enabled.

BTW, I would first try to make audio over hdmi work *without* using
"CustomEDID" if at all possible, i.e. if the EDID returned by your TV
is correct.

Assuming that it is, I wonder: are you sure that you have *really*
enabled the corresponding output?

Next. Assuming that on your TV you have more than one HDMI input, are
you sure that you are using "the right one"? check your TV manual, at
times for PC you have to use a particular one... (or possibly you have
NOT to use that one if you want audio over hdmi! 8-)

Then, are you sure that you are using a sampling rate (and word size)
supported by your TV? Your audio card may support just about anything
up to 24/192, but most TV expects and supports 48KHz only. Try playing
with those settings, if available.

In alsamixer there may be some "switches" (sometimes labeled in not
quite obvious ways) which control the digital outputs. There may be
either "volume"-like sliders (but usually with just 3 or 4 positions),
simple "on/off" switches or both.

With the wrong settings you may think you're sending s/pdif out but
actually nothing goes out where you expect it to go.

Check that carefully. Experiment with different (even if apparently
unrelated) settings combinations while playing some wav file. N.B.:
use the text mode "alsamixer" proper, sometimes GUI-based mixers such
as gnome-mixer may be misleading.

E.g. start:

 while true; do aplay -d plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/*.wav ; done

or play some long wav file (e.g. a CD rip), then start playing with
alsamixer settings.

You may also want to play with "iecset" (an handy cli utility).

P.S.: since yesterday I'm getting countless copies of some mails
from this list... does that happens to you too?

Ciao,
                                Paolo.

--
You can still escape from the GATES of hell: Use Linux!