no record using arecord ; no record using audacity 1.3.4

Hi,

my rig is:
Linux Distribution
Puppy Linux Linux 2.6.25.16 [i686 arch] Basée Puppy 4.1.2 Un grand merci
à Barry Kauler le génial créateur de Puppy,
Kernel Information
Kernel release:    2.6.25.16
Operating System:  GNU/Linux
Architecture:      i686
Soundcards recognised by ALSA:
 0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
                      Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B at irq 17

the complete check report of my system generated running 'alsa-inf.sh'
in a console has been uploaded on
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=736d5badccb955c83661cd41624ff6209823898b

my question:
I am newbie with alsa and sound applications on pc+linux;
I manage to use Audacity for recording from the on-board intel
soundcard; but it does not work: seems Audacity does not recognize nor
connect to the soundcard (input device is given as /dev/dsp/ in the
edit/preferences/ i/o options, and there is no other possible option. In
the 'help/audio info' the audio input given as 'audio input number: 0;
device nr: 0'. So I suspect there to be something wrong.

Alsa-wizard configuration on the intel proposed card returns sounds on
the speakers upon test. And I can listen to sounds from .mp3 files or
listen to web-radios,as also audio cd's
But I cannot record any.
using the command  "arecord -vv -fdat foo.wav" (without quotes !)
I followed the "soundcard testing" and "recording" documented in tha
Alsa home page. I got a foo.wav file with nothing to ear doing aplay
foo.wav.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
Charlie