Inspecting sound data flow

Hi,

on a standard Linux installation the sound passes several programs, and it
can be difficult to get a clear picture of what's going on. In one end is a
file, in the other a hardware output of some kind. There can easily be
several mixers, volume controls and who knows what in between. I'd like to
be able to see if the actual data changes along the way.

I'm looking for a way to compare a file to the last possible point of
interception. I'm using a USB sound card, so I guess this last point in my
case is either somewhere in the USB driver stack or at ALSA's endpoint. I
think these two datasets should be identical -- right? Or at least any
difference is a starting point for further investigation.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Niels