Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:42:41 +0200
From: Paolo Saggese <pmsa4-alsa@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ASUS M3N78-EM Motherboard (NVidia + ALC1200)
       - HDMI  Audio not working
To: alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Tuesday 12 May 2009, Scott Barlow wrote:

> I cannot get the HDMI audio to work with my ASUS M3N78-EM motherboard!  I've

To get audio over HDMI may be not so straightforward at times, 'cause
it depends on a number of different things... not necessarily related
to the audio system (ALSA).

First of all: do you see the output device listed with aplay -l ?

Consider that the device which sends audio through HDMI is likely NOT
the default one (which usually is analog out), but rather is seen as a
digital out (that is, IEC958 aka S/PDIF).

If the device exists and is listed, you'll have to explicitly setup
your apps to use it (e.g. plughw:0,1 or whatever it is) or define it
as default on your "~/.asoundrc" file.

Which video driver are you using? AFAIK having audio over HDMI enabled
depends also on the nVidia video driver (you must use a recent version
of the nVidia proprietary driver).

It does also depend on the EDID of your A/V screen (HDTV, projector?)
properly reporting audio capability in the extensions block, otherwise
the nVidia (VIDEO) driver will NOT enable audio over HDMI.

Ciao,
                               Paolo.

--
Skype: Paolo.Saggese