Re: very interesting spdif problem

Hi Floris,

I think I've solved the mystery: the extra bits that were different in
the asound.state were the iec958 audio/non-audio bits.

If I run "iecset" with the working asound.state, I get this output:

> Mode: consumer
> Data: audio
> Rate: 48000 Hz
> Copyright: permitted
> Emphasis: none
> Category: PCM coder
> Original: original
> Clock: 1000 ppm

With the non-working asound.state, I get this output:

> Mode: consumer
> Data: non-audio
> Rate: 48000 Hz
> Copyright: permitted
> Emphasis: none
> Category: PCM coder
> Original: original
> Clock: 1000 ppm

So, by running "iecset audio 0" and "iecset audio 1" I can toggle
between the two states without having to manually load asound.state
files.

To play ac3 or dts files with passthrough, the data bit must be set to
"non-audio".  In order to play regular audio (no passthrough), data
must be set to "audio".  If you run mplayer with it's default options,
it will not touch the iec958 data option.  This means that if you play
a file and data is set to non-audio, you won't hear sound.  On the
other hand, when you specify "-ao alsa:device=spdif", mplayer will
automatically set the data to "audio" or "non-audio" depending on if
you have left the audio codec to its default value or specified the
passthrough audio codec using "-ac hwac3" option.  After it finishes
playing, mplayer will set the bit back to what it was before.  This
exactly explains the behavior I was experiencing.

Sometimes, however, my soundcard can get into a state where even
though the data bit is set to "audio", I do not get output when using
mplayer with default options.  In these cases, I can still get sound
by specifying "-ao alsa:device=spdif", or, if I reboot the computer,
setting data to audio/non-audio works as expected again.  This has
only happend a couple times in the last week, so this might actually
be a bug - although I have no idea how to go about tracking it down.
I've been experimenting with the alpha Boxee release - perhaps it
could be triggering this bad state somehow.

Anyway, thanks for your help in debugging this problem!

Kyle