Dell monitor webcam microphones, working or not?

Hi,

A few days ago I got a Dell SP2309W monitor. It has a built in webcam
and microphone. The video part of the webcam works fine, but I'm
unable to get audio through the usual apps such as Skype (I have a
Logitech webcam that also uses usb-audio and it works fine).

cat /proc/asound/cards shows:

 0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xefff0000 irq 21
 1 [Webcam         ]: USB-Audio - Monitor Webcam
                      OmniVision Technologies, Inc.538-2640-08.09.09.1
Monitor Webcam at usb-0000:00:

0 is obviously my onboard sound, which is working and has always
worked fine. So, it appears to be detected at least. Furthermore,
"alsamixer -c 1" shows input volume controls for this card. So I'm not
sure why it isn't working. Before checking if it's a problem in the
application, I wanted to check to be sure it's really working (or
merely detected).

What's the suggested way of verifying that recording input from this
device is working? lsusb -vv for this device is located at
http://pastebin.com/f4c340014

/proc/asound/version shows "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver
Version 1.0.18rc3". I'm using linux kernel 2.6.28 with the gentoo
patch set.

If there is any other info needed or any suggestion of what I can try
next I'd appreciate it. I've googled and tried everything I can think
of. The other webcam just worked without any trouble.

Thanks,
Paul