Re: M-Audio Delta 66 Not working and cannot load modules after compile

Julien Claassen wrote:
> John!
> with which kernel/ALSA did you test your Delta card?
> Another short idea, though perhaps not too helpful taken by itself:
> Your problem with the new ALSA seems to be a depencence problem. It
> looks like your ALSA needs some other module loaded first, to have
> some symbols. I don't know: did you run a depmod -a? I don't have a
> Delta 66 but a delta1010lt and it works great. It also worked with
> 2.6.24.something-rt
> But I always built my kernels on my own. And I use the built-in ALSA
> and compile the absolute minimum of module ncessary.
> Kindest regards and soory I couldn't be of morehelp
> Julien

Hello,

Thanks for the responses.

James:
I've heard that the inputs are picky, I am running my sources into a
mixing console, then out from there into the breakout box (standard
Delta box supplied with the card). I ran depmod -ae per your suggestion,
it helped, but still not loading the modules. It only has one FATAL
error now.

WARNING: Error inserting snd
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/acore/snd.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_seq_device
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/acore/seq/snd-seq-device.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_rawmidi
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/acore/snd-rawmidi.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_mpu401_uart
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/drivers/mpu401/snd-mpu401-uart.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_i2c
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/i2c/snd-i2c.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/acore/snd-timer.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/acore/snd-pcm.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_cs8427
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/i2c/snd-cs8427.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ak4xxx_adda
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/i2c/other/snd-ak4xxx-adda.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/ice1712/snd-ice17xx-ak4xxx.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_ice1712
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/ice1712/snd-ice1712.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

I did not run the snddevices script because the alsa-project.org page
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-ice1712 said to
use it if you were running the driver version older than 0.9
(something), which I'm not. Also, I am not sure what udev is or how to
know if I am using it. By the way, I boot from grub and not from lilo.
As far as I know, I followed the instructions on the alsa-project.org
page I mentioned about modules.conf, etc. but they were not very clear
to me, however, I pasted your configuration into
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base (which is when it started only having one
FATAL error), and I then ran alsaconf, but got the same result.

Julien:

Right now, I am testing, well trying to, under kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
(#1 SMP Wed Aug 20 17:53:40 UTC 2008) (taken from sysinfo) with ALSA
1.0.17. I see many people saying that their similar card works, I was
wondering if the problem has anything to do with the 64bit ubuntu I am
using, because the card worked well in 32 bit Windows.

Thanks for your help,
John