Re: M-Audio Delta 66 Not working and cannot load modules after compile

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 23:22:27 -0500
John Beavers <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a  few problems.  My main problem is that I have installed an
> M-audio Delta 66, and it will output no sound, and does not recognize
> input from sound sources, either.  But before we get to that, I have a
> more pressing issue.  I tried compiling the latest build of Alsa, and
> when I get to the step of inserting the driver, it gives me all sorts of
> errors:
>
> sudo modprobe snd-ice1712
> FATAL: Error inserting snd
> (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-rt/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/acore/snd.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> WARNING: Error running install command for snd
> WARNING: Error inserting snd_seq_device
> (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-rt/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/acore/seq/snd-seq-device.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

I have a Delta 44 and it works fine.  The inputs are picky in that they need to be fed with a line level source.  Which for me means using a microphone preamp.  Even on some sources that may not need one in other circumstances / other cards.

That being said, the unknown symbol is common.  If insmod-ing without deps, you can only do this in a specific order.  If you boot using lilo and didn't rerun lilo to install the newer kernel, then it may be having version conflicts.  If you didn't run depmod -ae after installing the newer alsa you might also have trouble.

snd-ice1712 should be the right module(s).  For me I modify the /etc/modules.conf configuration or modprobe.d / modutil.d modern equivalents.  While disabling distro supplied defaults.  In my case it looks something like this.

# /etc/modprobe.d/alsa_custom

alias   char-major-116      snd
alias   char-major-14       soundcore

options snd                 major=116       cards_limit=1
options snd-ice1712         index=0

alias   snd-card-0          snd-ice1712
alias   sound-slot-0        snd-card-0
alias   sound-service-0-0   snd-mixer-oss
alias   sound-service-0-1   snd-seq-oss
alias   sound-service-0-3   snd-pcm-oss
alias   sound-service-0-8   snd-seq-oss
alias   sound-service-0-12  snd-pcm-oss

# END

With this configuration, anytime you try to use the sound device the modules are automatically loaded.  Also when you modprobe snd-ice1712, it picks up the dependants in whatever order they were supposed to be used in.

Reindexing it to 0 makes it the default soundcard.  There's other ways to do that, but this simplifies things for OSS type apps.  Like festival / mozilla / .....

There are other issues if you're not using udev and/or didn't run the snddevices script to create the /dev devices (not to be run if you ARE using udev).  But that doesn't appear to be your issue.  And other ways to implement the above custom configuration with alsaconf and other utilities.  I just never got them to work for me back in the day, and never adapted to letting current tools try to do it for me.

- James