Re: MiaMIDI & alsa in Ubuntu 8.04.1

Henry W. Peters wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> I got the script, pasted it into 'text editor' & from there into the
> terminal. This is my second time running a script in Linux... (doing the

You should just be able to right click in a browser and click on
save target as    to have the whole script saved as a file
alsa-info.sh in the current directory (or wherever you choose to save it).

> "How To..." 'Hell o World' (sic) was the first :) ), so I do not know
> where it is I either insert & or modify this script for the

If it is in a text editor, select file->save-as and save it as
alsa-info.sh.

>     /'--no upload alsa-info.sh --no-upload' /

Do an   ls -l alsa-info.sh   command in a terminal, and see if there
are xs in the output.  Something like rwxr-xr-x.

If not,  do   chmod +x alsa-info.sh

Then type
./alsa-info.sh --no-upload
and hit enter.

If you are in an xterm, the output will scroll by.  Then use the mouse
to select the output, and click edit->copy on the xterm.

You can now paste to your email client using Ctrl-V or edit->paste in
the client.  i.e. it is on the clipboard

> option, & I take (rightly or wrongly) that this indeed is all one line?
>
> We are inching our way there...
>
> Thanks,
> Henry
>
> p.s., am I correct that the '#!/bin/bash' takes care of the root level,?
> or do I need a 'sudo' (or something else), or is this even run at that
> level?  Plus, can I run this script  in the text editor (& would this be
> any more desireable than text editor), i.e. by enabling  the script
> 'External Tools' in the 'text editor' preferences?

The #!/bin/bash tells bash (the shell) that this is a bash script,
that is which program to use to run it.

As far as I know, this is a user level script.  When I've run it, I
have needed no other authority than being logged in.

You can avoid all of this by just clicking on the link.  It should
run, put your sound information on the web server, and give you a link
you can post back here so other people can look at it.  The server is
set up to delete it after 30 days, so it won't be out there forever.
I suppose that is a reason to paste the information into the email, so
future searchers of the archives get to see the information as well.