Re: MiaMIDI & alsa in Ubuntu 8.04.1

Henry W. Peters wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> Thanks for reply.
>
> Yes, I have gone to the Echo Audio web site & support before I came to
> this discussion list. I asked them (then) about drivers for Linux...
> they pointed me to the alsa users wiki.  No, I didn't ask about
> firmware... & now, I think I should do this, however, I visited their
> web site again today, & saw no firmware, at all... I also confirmed I
> had the latest drivers for Win XP.
USB is a standard interface for sound.  If the vendor wants to do
more, they usually have firmware to customize the interface.  Your
card sounds like it is the standard USB interface with no
enhancements.  Were there special drivers for windows?  That is
usually an indication that there is firmware.  I didn't notice, was
the snd-usb driver installed on your system?

The latest incarnation of ALSA has a special bucket for firmware.  You
could go here (top of page) and get the firmware and install it.
Maybe it would help.
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Download#.28Unofficial.29_Daily_Snapshot_Tarballs

> What is also occurring to me is that since there are drivers for this
> card written for Linux (I have them installed), there may be someone out
> "there" who wrote them, & might just know about some problems/solutions
> (?).
The writer of the drivers will probably be on the alsa-devel list.
Mark Brown, who you were corresponding with earlier, is a developer.
However, the generic USB driver is just that, generic.  The developer
might not know anything about your card.

> So, where you may be able to help here, is pointing toward some possible
> direction to finding the author/s of said?
I suppose you could look at the source code.  The kernel is very
strict these days about documentation and attribution.

> I know I am assuming some amount more, of experience on this list than
> me... (I'm a real short timer here, you may have noticed).
Most are.  Once their problem is solved, they're gone.  ;-)  There is
probably someone with experience to help you, but it isn't me.  I've
never used a USB card, and never looked at the code for it.