MiaMIDI & alsa in Ubuntu 8.04.1

OK, this is another a pig-in-a poke... but I am still working to get my
MiaMIDI sound card working in Ubuntu 8.04.1 (apparently the drivers are
not loading (?)). I am contemplating installing Kubuntu as well (?).  I
have been unable (so far) to find any  firmware updates for this card.
What I am wondering is:

1.)  perhaps my integrated SiS SI7012 sound "card" needs to be turned
off (or substitute correct term) somehow?  I believe (if memory serves
at all here) I had to do this in Windows XP.

2.) & given that my version of asla (according to Synaptic Package
Manager) is: alsa (basic) 1.0.1.6; alsa-tools-gui 1.0.15-2; alsa utils
1.0.15.-3, & the most current version is (according to
http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page )  is: [
alsa-driver-1.0.17
<ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.17.tar.bz2> ].

& I am (more or less) aware that various cards have compatibility
problems with some versions, or as I understand this, the latest is not
necessarily what works. But having said this, might an update be in order?

I am on the verge of sending a bug track notice... but would like to be
better informed as to all options before doing so, if necessary.

Thanks much.

Henry