Re: Aplay arecord ecasound -> segmentation fault

Hi

Thanks for your answer since it let me at least partially solve
the problem :

From: stan <ghjeold_i_mwee@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Aplay arecord ecasound -> segmentation fault
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:43:56 -0700

> Pierre Lorenzon wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I installed alsa (1.0.17) (lib+plugins+utils). Kernel is
> > 2.6.22.5 and gcc 4.1.2.
> >
> > Installation worked well but now aplay generates a seg fault.
> > [root@latitude ~]# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
> > Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
> > Segmentation fault
> > [root@latitude ~]#
> >
> > Arecord does the same as well as alsaplayer ; and when trying
> > to use ecasound with alsa output, I get this seg fault as well.
>
> Are you running a sound server?  It can lock up the device, preventing
> other applications from using it directly.

  No !

> What happens if you use the -vv option to the command?
> aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

  Verbose but still the seg fault !
> aplay -vv -Dhw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

  No seg fault but device is busy !
> aplay -vv -Dplughs:0,0
> /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

  Same as above !

> What does strace show?
> strace aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

  In particular that the asound.conf and .asoundrc files are not
  loaded where I thought they were !

> Are there any messages in /var/log/messages related to alsa?

  No aparrently not !

> When you installed the library, did you check that everything went in
> the right place?  Some distros move things.  The standard location for
> alsa-lib files is in /usr/share/alsa.  Check that those files are the
> files from the package.  Then search in /etc to see if they also exist
> there.  If they do, either link or overwrite them with the latest
> versions.  And ensure that there aren't any old library versions
> around.  libasound usually resides in /usr/lib, but I have seen it in
> /lib.  Is the linked version the version from your compile?  Did you
> run an /sbin/ldconfig after you updated the library?

  I do not use any distro but simply folow blfs book
  indications. I tghink that things are at the good place.

> > Verry surprisingly, speech-dispatcher that runs too on this
> > machine works perfectly even if it does use alsa.
>
> I wonder if it doesn't use OSS emulation?  Or perhaps it is using a
> sound server via a plugin?

  I don't think so.

> > Has anybody an idea how to investigate this faillure ? I might
> > mention that with 1.0.13 the situation is the same.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Pierre
>
> It probably isn't necessary in this case, but could you run a script
> which provides more information about your sound setup and post the
> link back here?

  In fact I simply removed .asoundrc and it works now. I wrote
  this .asoundrc file following instructions on the
  alsa-project home page but it was for previous versions of
  alsa and it is possible that it is no longer
  compatible. Indeed I felt very convenient to use the dmix
  plugin and that's why I had this .asoundrc file. Now question
  is : do you know a good hint to write a correct .asoundrc
  file ?

  Regards

  Pierre