Re: Aplay arecord ecasound -> segmentation fault

Pierre Lorenzon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed alsa (1.0.17) (lib+plugins+utils). Kernel is
> 2.6.22.5 and gcc 4.1.2.
>
> Installation worked well but now aplay generates a seg fault.
> [root@latitude ~]# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
> Segmentation fault
> [root@latitude ~]#
>
> Arecord does the same as well as alsaplayer ; and when trying
> to use ecasound with alsa output, I get this seg fault as well.

Are you running a sound server?  It can lock up the device, preventing
other applications from using it directly.

What happens if you use the -vv option to the command?
aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
aplay -vv -Dhw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
aplay -vv -Dplughs:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

What does strace show?
strace aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Are there any messages in /var/log/messages related to alsa?

When you installed the library, did you check that everything went in
the right place?  Some distros move things.  The standard location for
alsa-lib files is in /usr/share/alsa.  Check that those files are the
files from the package.  Then search in /etc to see if they also exist
there.  If they do, either link or overwrite them with the latest
versions.  And ensure that there aren't any old library versions
around.  libasound usually resides in /usr/lib, but I have seen it in
/lib.  Is the linked version the version from your compile?  Did you
run an /sbin/ldconfig after you updated the library?

> Verry surprisingly, speech-dispatcher that runs too on this
> machine works perfectly even if it does use alsa.

I wonder if it doesn't use OSS emulation?  Or perhaps it is using a
sound server via a plugin?

> Has anybody an idea how to investigate this faillure ? I might
> mention that with 1.0.13 the situation is the same.
>
> Regards
>
> Pierre

It probably isn't necessary in this case, but could you run a script
which provides more information about your sound setup and post the
link back here?

The script is found at http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

You can run the script so the results occur locally, by specifying the
   ---no-upload   option.

alsa-info.sh --no-upload

You would then paste the output into your email instead of providing a
link.