Re: issue with hda_intel on azalia onboard

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 23:18, Drake Mobius wrote:
> hda_intel is not only compiled, but is loaded as per lsmod (snd_hda_intel).
> The device is definitely enabled.
> As for the ATI vs Nvidia deal..the motherboard says it is an 'Azalia'
> chipset but it is an nvidia motherboard. lspci shows numerous onboard
> nvidia devices (my sata controller, nic, sound, vga, etc.) No false
> positives by my reckoning.

Hi Drake. Have you got an earlier kernel you can try (not a hand rolled one)?

I've also found that if you have any USB device plugged in, which is sound
related, and as the USB starts early in the boot process, you can find the
USB device being set as card0 in /proc/asound/cards, and the actual sound
card can no longer be set as card0, which is usually the default for the
soundcard. I find this more often than not with my usb midi keyboard, and
although not a soundcard is set as card0. The fix in my case, and with other
USB devices that are audio related is to set an options line
in /etc/modprobe.conf, or /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base (depending on your
distro) as below.

options snd-usb-audio index=2

It is not unusual in this case for all the modules for the sound card to be
loaded, as shown in the "all loaded modules" section of the output from
running the alsa info shell script, but because something else has grabbed
card0, you get the complaint of "no soundcards found", as in other sections
of the output. Please post the output of: cat /proc/asound/cards , if there
is anything there.

I have just built a new machine with an Asus M2N-X Plus mobo, with NVIDIA
GeForce6100/ nForce430 chipset. That too uses Azalia, but the codec in my
case is ALC662. Once in the BIOS, the advanced/chipset/southbridge section
shows me 2 items for the audio, and this is from the mobo manual.
AZALIA AUDIO [Auto]       (that's the default, and the option is to disable
it)
and
Front Panel Select [HD Audio]  (that too is the default)
Allows you to set HD audio mode. Configuration options: [AC97] [HD Audio]

The front panel select I left as [HD Audio], and the "AZALIA AUDIO I left set
as the default "Auto"

Do you have something similar in your BIOS?

All I can think of at the moment.

Nigel.