Re: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio not working

Hello,

i just downloaded Fedora 10 Alpha live cd and there alsa / sound was working.
Is it possible to see what model was loaded?

> What happens for the commands
> aplay -vv some.wav

lukas@localhost:~$ aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: Rate conversion PCM (48000, sformat=S32_LE)
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 22050
  exact rate   : 22050 (22050/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 3763
  period_size  : 470
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 470
  start_threshold  : 3763
  stop_threshold   : 3763
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 2118380674724397056
Slave: Soft volume PCM
Control: PCM Playback Volume
min_dB: -51
max_dB: 0
resolution: 256
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S32_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 32
  buffer_size  : 8192
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1024
  start_threshold  : 8192
  stop_threshold   : 8192
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 4611686018427387904
Slave: Direct Stream Mixing PCM
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S32_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 32
  buffer_size  : 8192
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1024
  start_threshold  : 8192
  stop_threshold   : 8192
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 4611686018427387904
Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA Intel' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S32_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 32
  buffer_size  : 8192
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : ENABLE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1024
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 4611686018427387904
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 4611686018427387904
  boundary     : 4611686018427387904
############ +                                     | 25%

lukas@localhost:~$ aplay -vv -Dhw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo
Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 22050Hz, got = 44100Hz)
         please, try the plug plugin
Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA Intel' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 44100
  exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 4096
  period_time  : 92879
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 4096
  start_threshold  : 16384
  stop_threshold   : 16384
################+                                  | 31%

lukas@localhost:~$ aplay -vv -Dplughw:0,0
/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: Rate conversion PCM (44100, sformat=S16_LE)
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 22050
  exact rate   : 22050 (22050/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 8192
  period_size  : 2048
  period_time  : 92879
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 2048
  start_threshold  : 8192
  stop_threshold   : 8192
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 2305843009213693952
Slave: Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA Intel' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 44100
  exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 4096
  period_time  : 92879
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 4096
  start_threshold  : 16384
  stop_threshold   : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 4611686018427387904
############    +                                  | 31%

> Are errors generated?  Is there output in
> /var/log/messages explaining any problem?

No, I don't see any errors

/var/log/messages reports this:

Aug 13 23:07:03 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:1810: chipset
global capabilities = 0x4401
Aug 13 23:07:03 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:749:
codec_mask = 0x5
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:596:
hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last
cmd=0x000f0000
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:2211:
hda_codec: model 'ref' is selected
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:1712:
hda_codec: pin nid 0a pin config 02214030
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:1712:
hda_codec: pin nid 0b pin config 02a19040
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:1712:
hda_codec: pin nid 0c pin config 01a19020
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:1712:
hda_codec: pin nid 0d pin config 01014010
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:1712:
hda_codec: pin nid 0e pin config 0181302e
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:1712:
hda_codec: pin nid 0f pin config 01114010
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:1712:
hda_codec: pin nid 14 pin config 01019020
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:1712:
hda_codec: pin nid 18 pin config 90a000f0
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:1712:
hda_codec: pin nid 19 pin config 90a000f0
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:1712:
hda_codec: pin nid 1e pin config 01452050
Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c:2080:
stac92xx_add_dyn_out_pins: total dac count=2

> Are you running a sound server?  For fedora that would
> be pulseaudio.  What happens if you stop it?

No, it also doesn't work if I stop pulseaudio

> You can try putting an option line in your
> /etc/modprobe.conf file.

I tried the options, but it doesn't change anything

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe -r snd-hda-intel
[root@localhost ~]# modprobe snd-hda-intel model=ref
lukas@localhost:~$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo
[root@localhost ~]# modprobe -r snd-hda-intel

No output in /var/log/messages

Thanks for your help,