Re: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio not working

Lukas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My notebook is a HP Pavilion dv7-1018eg and I am using Fedora 9
>
> I have a problem with the following audio device:
>
> [root@localhost ~]# lspci |grep Audio 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation
> 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
>
> I am using kernel 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64 and get no sound output
> I tried to upgrade the kernel to the current rawhide version (
> 2.6.27-0.244.rc2.git1.fc10.x86_64 ) and there I got some output, but after
> playing a file the sound was hanging.

The fact you get sound suggests that the soundcard is
at least recognized.

What happens for the commands
aplay -vv some.wav
aplay -vv -Dhw:0,0 some.wav
aplay -vv -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav

Are errors generated?  Is there output in
/var/log/messages explaining any problem?

Are you running a sound server?  For fedora that would
be pulseaudio.  What happens if you stop it?

pulseaudio --kill

http://www.pulseaudio.org/  for more information.

> Here are some more informations (alsa-info.txt is attached)
>
> [root@localhost ~]# lspci -s 00:1b.0 -vn
> 00:1b.0 0403: 8086:293e (rev 03)
>         Subsystem: 103c:30f4
>         Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
>         Memory at df300000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>         Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable+
>         Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
>         Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
>         Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
>         Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>
> [root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
> Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X

You can try putting an option line in your
/etc/modprobe.conf file.

These are the options for your card as determined by
the codec above.  Without an option, you probably have
the ref.

	STAC92HD71B*
	  ref		Reference board
	  dell-m4-1	Dell desktops
	  dell-m4-2	Dell desktops

Add them in the /etc/modprobe.conf file as lines like:
options snd_hda_intel model=dell-m4-1 or dell-m4-2

Then you have to reboot.  You can instead unload the
current module using modprobe and reload with the
option using modprobe.  see    man modprobe

If these don't work, you could try the other STAC92xx
options listed below.  The likelihood of success is
lower for these.

Because you have an hp, it might be necessary to have a
new configuration added to the driver.  The hda-intel
is very configurable, and everyone seems to take
advantage of that, so they need lots of specific
configuration.  One of the others might hit close.

> Codec: Generic 10de ID 6
>
> Is there any way to get my audio working?
> Thanks for any help!

Each codec may have a model table for different
configurations.
   If your machine isn't listed there, the default
(usually minimal)
   configuration is set up.  You can pass
"model=<name>" option to
   specify a certain model in such a case.  There are
different
   models depending on the codec chip.

     Model name    Description
     ----------    -----------

	STAC9200
	  ref		Reference board
	  dell-d21	Dell (unknown)
	  dell-d22	Dell (unknown)
	  dell-d23	Dell (unknown)
	  dell-m21	Dell Inspiron 630m, Dell Inspiron 640m
	  dell-m22	Dell Latitude D620, Dell Latitude D820
	  dell-m23	Dell XPS M1710, Dell Precision M90
	  dell-m24	Dell Latitude 120L
	  dell-m25	Dell Inspiron E1505n
	  dell-m26	Dell Inspiron 1501
	  dell-m27	Dell Inspiron E1705/9400
	  gateway	Gateway laptops with EAPD control
	  panasonic	Panasonic CF-74

	STAC9205/9254
	  ref		Reference board
	  dell-m42	Dell (unknown)
	  dell-m43	Dell Precision
	  dell-m44	Dell Inspiron

	STAC9220/9221
	  ref		Reference board
	  3stack	D945 3stack
	  5stack	D945 5stack + SPDIF
	  intel-mac-v1	Intel Mac Type 1
	  intel-mac-v2	Intel Mac Type 2
	  intel-mac-v3	Intel Mac Type 3
	  intel-mac-v4	Intel Mac Type 4
	  intel-mac-v5	Intel Mac Type 5
	  intel-mac-auto Intel Mac (detect type according to
subsystem id)
	  macmini	Intel Mac Mini (equivalent with type 3)
	  macbook	Intel Mac Book (eq. type 5)
	  macbook-pro-v1 Intel Mac Book Pro 1st generation
(eq. type 3)
	  macbook-pro	Intel Mac Book Pro 2nd generation (eq.
type 3)
	  imac-intel	Intel iMac (eq. type 2)
	  imac-intel-20	Intel iMac (newer version) (eq. type 3)
	  dell-d81	Dell (unknown)
	  dell-d82	Dell (unknown)
	  dell-m81	Dell (unknown)
	  dell-m82	Dell XPS M1210