Re: issue with hda_intel on azalia onboard

Drake Mobius wrote:
> hda_intel is not only compiled, but is loaded as per lsmod
> (snd_hda_intel). The device is definitely enabled.
> As for the ATI vs Nvidia deal..the motherboard says it is an 'Azalia'
> chipset but it is an nvidia motherboard. lspci shows numerous onboard
> nvidia devices (my sata controller, nic, sound, vga, etc.) No false
> positives by my reckoning.

 From the output of the alsa-info script, alsa is not
recognizing your card.  There is no setup for it.  As
you say, the driver is loading, and it is likely NVidia.

When you installed the library, did you check that
everything went in the right place?  Some distros move
things.  The standard location for alsa-lib files is in
/usr/share/alsa.  Check that those files are the files
from the package.  Then search in /etc to see if they
also exist there.  If they do, either link or overwrite
them with the latest versions.  And ensure that there
aren't any old library versions around.  libasound
usually resides in /usr/lib, but I have seen it in
/lib.  Is the linked version the version from your
compile?  Did you run an /sbin/ldconfig after you
updated the library?

Are there any messages in /var/log/messages relating to
alsa?  What about after a boot when the sound device is
probed?

When you do    ls /proc/asound   , is there any
information there?

As you can tell, I suspect some sort of mismatch
somewhere.  The card appears to be recognized and the
driver installed, but alsa doesn't know about it.

Did you select OSS instead of alsa when you were
configuring your custom kernel?

I vaguely recall seeing something on the devel list
about 2.6.26 having a different interface for alsa, but
I could be misremembering.  You could try the latest
git snapshot instead of the official 1.0.17.
Download it here.
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/alsa/