Re: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio not working

Lukas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i just downloaded Fedora 10 Alpha live cd and there alsa / sound was working.
> Is it possible to see what model was loaded?
Would you run the alsa-info.sh script again while it is running?

And in the /var/log/messages output you put out below, it gave the
model.  Could you check in /var/log/messages to see what that is?

All of the aplay commands worked.  Alsa thinks it is OK.  So there is
a misconfiguration of your card.  I assume there was still no sound
for all of them.

>> Are errors generated?  Is there output in
>> /var/log/messages explaining any problem?
>
> No, I don't see any errors
>
> /var/log/messages reports this:
>
> cmd=0x000f0000
> Aug 13 23:07:04 localhost kernel: ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:2211:
> hda_codec: model 'ref' is selected

Here is where the model was reported in /var/log/messages  Because of
the output above from the aplay commands, it is pretty evident that
you are getting the wrong model for your card.  ref isn't working.

You are running an early version of the 1.0.16 drivers, the release
candidate 1.  You should try the 1.0.17 final
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Download#.28Unofficial.29_Daily_Snapshot_Tarballs

or the latest snapshot from git
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/alsa/

The script run above will tell what version F10 alpha is running.
Obviously the driver has an improved model for your card and it is
finding it without any model hint.

>> You can try putting an option line in your
>> /etc/modprobe.conf file.
>
> I tried the options, but it doesn't change anything
>
> [root@localhost ~]# modprobe -r snd-hda-intel
> [root@localhost ~]# modprobe snd-hda-intel model=ref
> lukas@localhost:~$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav
> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
> Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo
> [root@localhost ~]# modprobe -r snd-hda-intel
>
> No output in /var/log/messages

Did you try all of the models, not only ref?  You are defaulting to
ref, so it obviously won't be any different.