Re: Which 96kHz card ?

Vaclav Peroutka wrote:
>> I have the MAudio Revolution 5.1 and the sound quality is excellent.
>
> Hello,
>
> I just bought the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 card today :-) I will play with
> it hopefully during weekend.

Hope it works for you.  I feel responsible now.  :-)

> As I am going to experiment with SDR, I somehow need to write full
Not sure what SDR is.
> duplex application. My idea is to use either multi-threaded app (main
> thread and then one for recording and one for playback of processed
> data). Or callbacks. Similarly as I used it in AUDMES (

These would be my choices also.

> http://audmes.sf.net/ ).Honestly this is my second target - to finish

Because of the move from California to Chicago, the sourceforge
websites are down until next week, so I couldn't look at the link.

> AUDMES to be running on Linux.
>
> Can somebody skilled recommend me what is the preferred way to write a
> full-duplex audio application for ALSA? Or some short source code will
> be helpfull as well.

I haven't done this so I have no direct experience or recommendation.

This is a link from the alsa-project web site for simple duplex program.
http://equalarea.com/paul/alsa-audio.html#duplexex
His final recommendation is to use jack.  ;-)

You could look at audacity as it does full duplex.  C++, big complex
program, through portaudio v19.

Check on sourceforge for a program that does what you want, use the
code as a template.

I saw on the alsa-devel list a recommendation by a couple of the alsa
developers that the best way to do this was through the use of
poll/select.  You could web search as well, as there are probably
how-tos for this.  If you get no response here, you could ask on
alsa-devel.  They might or might not respond as their main focus is
development of alsa itself.