Re: Configuring 2 sound cards (onboard + audiophile 2496)

Klaus Zeitler wrote:
>     stan> However, you can manually configure things.
>     stan> Try putting the following in the file /etc/modprobe.conf
>     stan>
>     stan> alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
>     stan> options snd-ice1724 index=0
>     stan> alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
>     stan> options snd-ice1724 index=1
>
> I assume you meant 'options snd-hda-intel index=1' in line 4.
> And then what? Just reboot? I tried and when that didn't help I also tried
> alsaconf again. No change.

I cut and pasted from my modprobe.conf, and forgot to
change the ice1724 to the proper module.

Your modprobe.conf should look like
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
options snd-ice1712 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=1

Yes, reboot.  This should specify exactly where the
soundcard is supposed to go.  From the pastebin output
it didn't do that.  There could still be issues with
the ATI being interpreted as the hda-intel if it is
probed first (devices are probed in random order).
There should be a way to specify this in the
modprobe.conf, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

man modprobe.conf

> I'm wondering if maybe openSuse is messing something up. I also tried
> to delete the cards from yast2, but this also didn't help.
>
> Is that normal that after using alsaconf for the onboard sound card that
> the module hda_intel is listed twice in /proc/asound/modules:
>
>  0 snd_hda_intel
>  1 snd_hda_intel

 From the pastebin, it looks like the hd soundcard is
going into slot 0, the ATI device that is being
mistaken for a sound card by the probe is going into
slot 1, and the ice1712 is going into slot 2.  The
startup seems to be ignoring the order specified in the
  modprobe.conf file.

#  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
#                      HDA Intel at 0xffaf8000 irq 21
# 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
#                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xff7ec000 irq 18
# 2 [M2496          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96
#                      M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at
0xbc00, irq 21
#
#
# PCI Soundcards installed in the system
# --------------------------------------
#
# 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8
Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
# 01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown
device aa10
# 05:01.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies
Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller
(rev 02)

Note that the hda-intel in slot 1 is not the same as
the hda-intel in slot 0.  Different address, and
different option.

# Codec: Analog Devices AD1988
# Address: 0
# Vendor Id: 0x11d41988
# Subsystem Id: 0x104381e1
# Revision Id: 0x100400
# No Modem Function Group found
# Default PCM:
#    rates [0x7ff]: 8000 11025 16000 22050 32000 44100
48000 88200 96000 176400 192000
#    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
#    formats [0x1]: PCM
# Default Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00,
stepsize=0x00, mute=1
# Default Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x27, nsteps=0x27,
stepsize=0x05, mute=0
# GPIO: io=2, o=0, i=0, unsolicited=1, wake=0
#  IO[0]: enable=0, dir=0, wake=0, sticky=0, data=0
#  IO[1]: enable=0, dir=0, wake=0, sticky=0, data=1

# Codec: ATI ATI R6xx HDMI
# Address: 0
# Vendor Id: 0x1002aa01
# Subsystem Id: 0xaa0100
# Revision Id: 0x100000
# No Modem Function Group found
# Default PCM:
#    rates [0x40]: 48000
#    bits [0x2]: 16
#    formats [0x1]: PCM
# Default Amp-In caps: N/A
# Default Amp-Out caps: N/A

Looking at the pastebin, it appears that the ATI is
digital stereo.  Do you have an ATI video card
installed that has sound functionality?

>     stan> could you run a script which provides more information about your
>     stan> sound setup and post the link back here?
>
> http://pastebin.ca/1085322
Alsa is recognizing your 2496 card correctly and
setting up properly.  It is recognizing your on board
chip, but might not be setting it up properly.  See below.

> Thanks
>
> Klaus

User specific config file (~/.asoundrc)

# pcm.ice1712 {
#          type hw
#          card 2
#       }
#
#       ctl.ice1712 {
#          type hw
#          card 2
#       }

This is why the 2496 is going into slot 2 instead of
the slot requested in the modprobe.conf file.  If you
want the modprobe.conf to be effective, move this to
.asoundrc.bak or something.

With the devices in the order specified in the pastebin,
# Aplay/Arecord output
# ------------
#
# APLAY
#
# **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
# card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog
[AD198x Analog]
#  Subdevices: 1/1
#  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
# card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital
[AD198x Digital]
#  Subdevices: 1/1
#  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
# card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI
HDMI]
#  Subdevices: 1/1
#  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
# card 2: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0:
ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
#  Subdevices: 1/1
#  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Under the setup shown in the pastebin (above), the
default device is the onboard sound device.

try
aplay -vv -D hw:0,0 some.wav
aplay -vv -D hw:1,0 some.wav
aplay -vv -D hw:2,0 some.wav

I think you should get sound from the ice1712 (device 2).
If you get sound from the first line (device 0), the
onboard hda-intel,  well and good.  If you don't, you
can try playing around with passing model information
to see if you can find a configuration that works for
it.  Hda intels are very configurable and sometimes the
probe doesn't get it exactly right.  Or the model is
not set up yet, so it uses the fallback device which
doesn't work.

You can try playing around with the  model parameter to
see if you can find one that has a configuration that
matches your device better. Your chip is a Analog
Devices AD1988.

Add them in the /etc/modprobe.conf file as lines like:
options snd_hda_intel model=6stack or laptop or ...
You have to reboot each time.  Or you can use modprobe
to remove the current module and insert the new module.
  See man modprobe for instructions.

Each codec may have a model table for different
configurations.
   If your machine isn't listed there, the default
(usually minimal)
   configuration is set up.  You can pass
"model=<name>" option to
   specify a certain model in such a case.  There are
different
   models depending on the codec chip.

     Model name    Description

AD1988/AD1988B/AD1989A/AD1989B
   6stack	6-jack
   6stack-dig	ditto with SPDIF
   3stack	3-jack
   3stack-dig	ditto with SPDIF
   laptop	3-jack with hp-jack automute
   laptop-dig	ditto with SPDIF
   auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)