Configuring 2 sound cards (onboard + audiophile 2496)

Hello,
I'm trying to configure 2 sound cards on my PC (openSuse 10.3).
I started with alsa version 1.0.14, then 1.0.16 and now I've installed
1.0.17. No luck with any of these so far.
My 2 sound cards are M-audio audiophile 2496 and the onboard sound card
ADI AD1988A. First I tried to configure these with yast2.
Is yast2 using alsaconf or something else?

With yast2 first the audiophile, then the onboard ADI AD1988A it seems
to work, though it looks as if the onboard sound card is configured twice.
e.g. looking at /proc/asound/modules I see:
 0 snd_ice1712
 1 snd_hda_intel
 2 snd_hda_intel

But after a reboot the audiophile is gone, e.g.

[868]$ aplay asmile.wav
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:583: audio open error: No such file or directory

Looking at /proc/asound/modules I see that ice1712 is no longer listed:
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_hda_intel

yast2 still claims that both cards are configured.

If I try to configure (with yast2) the onboard card first and then the
audiophile, then the audiophile doesn't work at all.

At last I tried alsaconf instead of yast2. But it seems that I can't configure
more than one card with alsaconf. The first works fine and as soon as I try
to configure the 2nd, then the first one's gone.

BTW alsaconf lists 4 cards:

Following cards are found on your system.

ice1712		VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel
hda-intel	Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
hda-intel	ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device aa10
legacy		Probe legacy ISA (non-PnP) chips

And (same as with yast2) the onboard sound card will be configured twice,
i.e. as sound card 0 and 1, though using card one doesn't work.
Maybe that has something to do with the 3rd line, that alsaconf shows
in the list of cards.

I appreciate any help or hints. Thanks

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler                                        |
|  Raiffeisenstr. 31 a     90427 Nürnberg     Germany   |
|  Telefon:           49 911 316261      Fax:  316281   |
|  Email:             info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx              |