Re: Configuring 2 sound cards (onboard + audiophile 2496)

    stan>
    stan> Your modprobe.conf should look like
    stan> alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
    stan> options snd-ice1712 index=0
    stan> alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
    stan> options snd-hda-intel index=1
    stan>
    stan> Yes, reboot.  This should specify exactly where the soundcard is
    stan> supposed to go.  From the pastebin output it didn't do that.  There
    stan> could still be issues with the ATI being interpreted as the
    stan> hda-intel if it is probed first (devices are probed in random
    stan> order). There should be a way to specify this in the modprobe.conf,
    stan> but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Didn't even notice the snd-ice1724 in the lines above, guess I need new
glasses :-). But even with the corrected version it didn't change. Same
result.
I also tried putting these lines in /etc/modprobe.d/sound instead, but that
didn't help either. And I asked in alt.linux.suse newsgroup if maybe openSuse
startup is doing something special.

    stan> From the pastebin, it looks like the hd soundcard is going into slot
    stan> 0, the ATI device that is being mistaken for a sound card by the
    stan> probe is going into slot 1, and the ice1712 is going into slot 2.
    stan> The startup seems to be ignoring the order specified in the
    stan> modprobe.conf file.

Yes and that mad be suspicious, that's why I asked in the suse newsgroup.

    stan>
    stan> #  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
    stan> #                      HDA Intel at 0xffaf8000 irq 21
    stan> # 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
    stan> #                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xff7ec000 irq 18
    stan> # 2 [M2496          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96
    stan> #                      M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at 0xbc00, irq 21
    stan>
    stan> Note that the hda-intel in slot 1 is not the same as the hda-intel
    stan> in slot 0. Different address, and different option.

Yes, I noticed that. Slot 1 seems to be garbage.
Sometimes after a reboot slots 0 and 1 are exchanged, i.e. I see

 0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xff7ec000 irq 18
 1 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xffaf8000 irq 21

Please note that in this case slot 2 is not recognized at all.
And the modules list (i.e. /proc/asound/modules, only contains:

 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_hda_intel

But as you said the devices are probed in random order, that may explain it.

    stan> Looking at the pastebin, it appears that the ATI is digital stereo.
    stan> Do you have an ATI video card installed that has sound
    stan> functionality?

Not that I know of. The question is how would I find out.
The video card docu says it's a
Sapphire Radeon HD 2400Pro 256M DDR2 VGA DVI passiv

    stan> User specific config file (~/.asoundrc)
    stan>
    stan> # pcm.ice1712 {
    stan> #          type hw
    stan> #          card 2
    stan> #       }
    stan> #
    stan> #       ctl.ice1712 {
    stan> #          type hw
    stan> #          card 2
    stan> #       }

Oh, I had forgotten about that. That was a relict of one of my experiments.
But removing that made no difference.

    stan> Under the setup shown in the pastebin (above), the default device is
    stan> the onboard sound device.
    stan>
    stan> try
    stan> aplay -vv -D hw:0,0 some.wav
    stan> aplay -vv -D hw:1,0 some.wav
    stan> aplay -vv -D hw:2,0 some.wav
    stan>
    stan> I think you should get sound from the ice1712 (device 2).

It seems I get sound for the onboard always (no matter if it's 0 or 1),
but for ice1712 I only get it when the onboard is recognized as device 0.

aplay -vv -D hw:2,0 asmile.wav
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1429:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
aplay: main:583: audio open error: No such file or directory

Thanks for your thorough replies. I'm still trying to digest all you've
written. I'll try it again with a model name tomorrow.

Great support. Thanks

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler                                        |
|  Raiffeisenstr. 31 a     90427 Nürnberg     Germany   |
|  Telefon:           49 911 316261      Fax:  316281   |
|  Email:             info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx              |