Re: Which ALSA mixer is the correct one?

This post is going to wander pretty far afield.  You
ask some questions that go to the very heart of open
source.  And I feel a little whimsical.  It is hard for
me to tell, but you might take some of this as critical
of you.  I don't think it is.
A.A.Hamilton wrote:
> I greatly appreciate your patience and help so far on this problem.
>
> Last night (UK time) I was able to record a 100 minute program and was
> fairly certain that I was able to play it back AFTER re-installing
> pulse-audio,and after disconnecting the pulse sound server, but BEFORE
> seeing this message (and hence before removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio).

If in fact you did successfully disable pulse, you had
already done the same thing as removing the
alsa-plugin-pulseaudio.  If that does work, it is
better than removing the plugin, because you have the
use of pulse when you want it, and it can easily be
disabled when you don't.

> Unfortunately Audacity had a problem saving its (2 GB) project file so I
> left it until this morning. Prior to solving the Audacity project file
> management problem I removed the plug-in as you suggested. Alsamixer and
> alsamixer -c 0 now produce identical results (both not in accordance
> with the man pages: it is impossible to select a capture device with the
> space-bar).

What happens if you use the gui version?  Usually when
alsamixer won't select it, it means that it isn't
available.

> Audacity is very robust in the management of its project files, allowing
> one to recover at just about any stage of file deletion (I guess it has
> some sort of 2 phase commit process), so I was able to recover the 100
> minute recording, cut it into pieces and save them individually. This
> then freed Audacity to start a new project. This morning it has recorded
> fine - but there is no playback - the original problem remains.

Audacity is a fine piece of software.  I still find
functionality occasionally that impresses me.  Can you
play back the files it records with another application
(say xmms or amarok)?
And it is not exactly the identical problem.  You now
can record 100% of the time.  And you know that
audacity sees the sound because it is able to edit it.
  You could try downloading and compiling audacity so
you get a version custom built for your setup.

> I understand that you have no more advice to give, except that you
> possibly do have some: if I understand it correctly you are responding
> to an original email I sent to the ALSA list - is this correct? In which
> case you are responding in part on behalf of the ALSA-skilled Linux
> community. If this is not in fact an ALSA problem, who else should I be
> talking to?

I am responding on behalf of me.  I don't represent
alsa in any way, shape, or form.  It's obvious that I'm
not doing this for the money.  And at any kind of
reasonable bill rate, it's certainly not cost effective
as an "obligation" or "pay back".  Is it the
satisfaction of helping others?  That's part of it.
But I do this for reasons of my own, and get value that
makes it worth my while.  When I don't, I'll stop.

This isn't an alsa problem.  Alsa is working fine, you
are able to record and play.  Alsa is responsible for
making the sound device function, and function it does.

> Based on my career experience from 30 years ago or more, I would have
> expected the management team with the product closest to the user to
> 'own' the problem, even if it turns out to be a design/implementation
> issue in a protocol or service layer which is closer to the kernel.
>
> That is, I would expect somebody in Audacity to 'volunteer' to own the
> problem.

If they feel like it.  The real owner of this problem
is you.  In management terms, the builders of the
software you are using have a (very faint) dotted line
relationship with you.

If you want a hard contractual obligation, you can buy
a service contract.  That obligates the seller of the
contract to you according to its terms.

>>From your knowledge of this unstructured, disparate and (seemingly)
> uncoordinated world-wide development community, how do I go about trying
> to tie down 'Audacity' (whoever they are!) on this?
>
> Currently the situation is just not viable - for an ancient clapped out
> management consultant to try to tackle a complicated problem in an
> end-user application. I just want to be a user, not a support expert. Or
> this is an unreal expectation in the Linux world?

You've hit the nub of the problem here.  Many call the
open source world communist.  I think it is just the
opposite.  Anarchic.  A bunch of people doing what they
feel like doing.  Think the Null-A of van vogt or the
tsel of dalmas.  And as you say, out the other end
comes a form of organization.  They give you their
product for free, but the license also says that they
give no warranty of fitness.  Communism says from each
according to their ability (thus society has first call
on you, not you) and to each according to their need.
So the guy who can barely tie his shoelaces has a hard
obligation set on your productivity, just because of
his existence.  Anarchy on the other hand says that it
is our right to give whatever we choose ourselves.  Or
not.  It seems you long for the dictatorial world of
the corporation.  ;-)  Dictatorships are all right, as
long as you're the dictator.  :-)

An analogy.  I throw some bread and some butter on the
ground.  You pick them up and complain that the butter
isn't spread on the bread.  If I feel like it, I'll
butter it for you, otherwise I won't.  It is your
responsibility to butter the bread if you want buttered
bread.

A little amateur psych analysis.  You are probably a
pretty smart guy.  I think a lot of your self image is
tied up in your competence.  And your competence isn't
in linux.  That's frustrating.  You've done a good job
of keeping it in check (a required skill in consulting)
but a little has leaked out.  :-)  I'm guessing you
can't allow yourself to not be competent because that
threatens your self image.  So you want to blame
someone else.  Not very effective tactic in a dotted
line relationship.  I don't know if they have the
saying in the UK, but here there is a saying that "You
catch more flies with honey than vinegar."  Of course,
that presumes you want to catch flies.  :-)

My best guess at this point is that your problem is
trivial for an experienced user to correct.  You aren't
that user.  Because of your inexperience, it is
impossible to know what seemingly obvious thing for an
experienced user you have missed.  I know the setup you
have works.  I have used the ca0106 and audacity to
record, edit, and play sound in the past.  So the
problem has to be purely configuration.  And if I was
sitting at your computer, I or any other experienced
user could probably solve your problem relatively
quickly.  But doing it once removed is not a simple
task.  Imagine trying to do management consulting
through a computer game programmer.

The other thing you're missing is the attitude that
would make this a bump in the road instead of a
mountain.  For you this is a chore, not an opportunity
to learn, a challenge to enjoy, a problem to solve.

Bottom line, maybe you're not a good fit for linux.
You want it to be like a toaster or a television.  It
seems you might need the handholding that comes in a
windows or mac environment.  Every corporate
environment I've ever been in has had full time people
holding hands for their windows users.  And they were
always busy.  No shame in that, the users just went
about their business of using the computer as a tool,
an appliance.