Re: Which ALSA mixer is the correct one?

A.A.Hamilton wrote:
> Thanks for this very patient reply. I can confirm, with total
> confidence, that I am not a UNix person. However, I did finish my
> working life  just as DOS was becoming popular so I can handle a bit of
> command line stuff.
>
> This is just a quick reply to give you the link obtained by running the
> alsa-info.sh script:
>
> http://pastebin.ca/1072201

I think you need to switch this to mic from line in, if
your mic is plugged into the mic port on your card.

# Simple mixer control 'Analog Source',0
#  Capabilities: cenum
#  Items: 'Phone' 'Mic' 'Line in' 'Aux'
#  Item0: 'Line in'

and you should probably let line in be line in here if
your mic is plugged into the mic port and not the line
in port.

# Simple mixer control 'Shared Mic/Line in',0
#  Capabilities: cenum
#  Items: 'Line in' 'Mic in'
#  Item0: 'Mic in'

You can probably turn this off.

# Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
#  Capabilities: cvolume
#  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
#  Limits: Capture 0 - 255
#  Front Left: Capture 204 [80%] [-1.50dB]
#  Front Right: Capture 204 [80%] [-1.50dB]

> I note that the script shows that the card has been correctly identified
> - so it is, as you say, a configuration problem.
>
> I now have to go back and see if I can repair the damage I have done by
> deleting PulseAudio, then try choosing options in Audacity.
>
> In Audacity Preferences there is an an Audio I/O 'tab' at which one
> selects from a drop down box for Playback and Recording device. Without
> knowing what they are, I have found (by trying every possible
> combination (sigh!)) that the only combination that works is:
>
> Playback = ALSA dmix (a device unknown to me)
This should be default.  When pulse is running it takes
over the default device and makes it unavailable to
other applications.  Once pulse is disabled, this will
work with default.  In my current audacity it is default.
> Recording =  CA0106 : CA0106 (hw:0,0)
This is the correct value and the value I have for
audacity.  I think if you make the changes above, this
will start working for you.

> As I said, the 'ALSA Dmix' option is presented as a selectable PLayback
> device only about 1 to 2% of the time (no success in the last couple of
> days of starting Audacity).
dmix is internal to alsa and has a fixed playback rate
of 48000 frames/second.  Better if you can get default
working.