Re: how to run jackd on a only-48k-card at 44.1?se

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 19:34 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > hi mark
> >
> > thanks a lot for the detailed eplanation.
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 18:45 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >

> >> Technically, I think you're looking for a Jack aware resampling
> >> plugin. you would send your 44.1K sound file to that device and then
> >> let it resample it to the Jack sample rate - 48K in your case. I'm not
> >> sure what you should get to do this but almost certainly there is one
> >> somewhere in the LADSPA library.
> >
> > no, actually i wasn't looking for a plugin. i don't care about the
> > additional effort to resample the files aftwards. the problem is that i
> > do recordings at a wrong rate, which forces me to do resampling, which i
> > would like to avoid in general.
> >
> > i will just live with those 48k...
> >
> > roman
>

> Ah, yes, sorry. In your case the clock in the sound card only runs at
> 48K. This means the only digital data you receive will be digitized by
> the DAC at 48K. There's nothing you can do about that. Internally you
> can resample those files to 44.1K for use with other sessions created
> with your 44.1K hardware, but in the case where you are recording with
> this chip you are restricted to 48K operation and 48K sound files.
>
> Hope this helps you understand what Jack is doing and what it cannot do.

i did understand well, that jackd is strongly linked to the clock of the
hardware. it's just silly, that the hardware forces me to record at a
specific rate, when the hardware itself isn't involved in the recording
itself (i don't use the adc nor do i need the dac for recording softare
generated sound). the only solution i can think of right now is, running
jackd in dummy mode in order to do the recording, while running jackd at
48k, whenever it is needed to listen to it.

roman