Re: how to run jackd on a only-48k-card at 44.1?se

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 17:24 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > actually, my problem is not jackd related at all. i cannot use a
> > samplerate other than 48k with any application i tried, not only with
> > jackd. isn't alsa supposed to provide resampling, if necessary?
> >
> > i forgot to mention the hardware:
> > Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio
> > Controller (rev 03)
> >
> > roman
> >

> Roman
>    Assuming I'm understanding correctly, in this case jack could and
> should only be run at 48K. Jack is synchronized to the hardware, not
> to any specific sound file or application data rate, so that it can
> always receive and provide audio. Jack's first job is to make the
> hardware happy and that's how it does it.
>
>    Alsa does provide resampling. I'm not sure how to turn it on but I
> suspect it's done through dmix or some other plugin structure. The
> application can then source 44.1K samples/second and the plugin does
> the resampling to 48K samples/second keeping the hardware happy.

thanks for your explanataions.

hm... i am running jack, because it makes the hardware transparent for
all my applications. at home i start jackd on the rme rpm card, whereas
when i don't have the audiobox with me, i start jack on the internal
soundcard. all the apps i use don't have to care what card i am actually
using, they just connect to jackd. the problem i have is this:
when running jackd on my built-in card, it runs at 48k. when doing
recordings of tracks generated by the jack clients, the resulting file
has 48k, whereas i would like to be it 44.1. this means, i need to
convert the resulting soundfiles, which is bad. if i could run jackd at
44.1, this wouldn't be necessary at all. the resampling would be happen
on listening, but this wouldn't affect the recordings.

are you saying, that it is simply not possible to run jackd over an alsa
plugin, that does resampling or mixing? if so, does that mean, that
jackd is kind of a special alsa client? why are alsa clients different?
when alsaplayer is able to use -d plug:dmix, why isn't jackd? i seem to
lack fundamental understanding of what alsa is about.

roman