Re: asus p5kc sound card problem

On Friday 13 June 2008 05:41, Philippe MONROUX wrote:

> I'm running debian etch with  2.6.18-6-686 kernel.
> I have a asus p5kc mother board
>
> lspci give:
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Unknown device 293e (rev 02)
> So  I tried  to load  snd-hda-intel  without and  with this  different
> option. But they don't work.

of course your driver (ALSA in the kernel) is too old and does
not know that hardware.

> Any idea to make this integrated sound card work ?

You need to update (at least) your ALSA driver.

To do so either update the alsa driver or update your kernel
as a whole (thus including newer alsa modules).

Either case, you'll need to get some package off the development
branches of Debian (Unstable/Sid or the current testing, "Lenny")
and/or use backports.

To update the kernel as a whole, check backports.org first;
currently you may get kernel 2.6.24 (which includes ALSA ver.
1.0.15) from that repository.

Please see http://www.backports.org for /etc/apt/source.list
and /etc/apt/preferencs setup instructions, etc.

To update the alsa driver (only):

download alsa-source version 1.0.16 .deb package from Sid or
Lenny, then:

# dpkg -i alsa-source_1.0.16-1.1_all.deb
# apt-get install module-assistant
# m-a prepare
# m-a a-i alsa

check that everything went well; also check that

# dpkg -l | grep "^alsa-"

will show up the updated version (1.0.16) of alsa-source and
alsa-modules.

# reboot

done.

Another option is to upgrade to Lenny alltogether... Etch have
got quite old now. Unless you have some good reasons to keep
using it, perhaps it's better to switch over to Lenny, even if
it have not been released yet... though running an unreleased
distribution is not recommended for a newbie. ;-)

Ciao,
                                Paolo.

--
Skype: Paolo.Saggese