Re: Unmolested audio

Grant wrote:
> Is running jack, pulseaudio, or esound enough to jeopordize the bits,
> or must the audio player support the sound server in order for that to
> happen?
>
> - Grant

I think you're asking, if the sound server isn't used by the audio
player, will it affect the sound quality?  No, if the audio player uses
alsa to play, the sound goes directly to alsa, bypassing the sound
server.  You would normally have to tell the audio player to use a
plugin to use a sound server in order to translate the sound stream into
information it can process.  Now, it is possible that some magic will
happen in the background and the audio player will automatically be
routed to the server if the plugin is available and the sound server has
the sound device.  I don't think that happens yet, though I suspect it
is one of the goals for the sound servers.  The player queries alsa, the
device is unavailable because it is held by a server, the server is
notified of the request and pretends that it is alsa to the player.
Transparent, great for general use, but a loss of control for people who
want it.  Solution.  Stop the sound servers if you aren't using them.
Or use the on board device for the sound server, and a separate device
for your player sound.

A long answer to say yes to your question.