Unmolested audio

I'm kind of an audiophile and I'd like to make sure there is no
digital alteration being made to my music between the time it is
decoded from FLAC and passed to the DAC via USB.  We could argue about
whether it makes a difference, but I'd just like to make sure there is
a straight "pass-through" happening.

The ALSA volume control and mute functions have no effect whatsoever
on the volume of the sound, which is good.  I used to use Rhythmbox
which incorporated a software mixer for volume control.  I now use mpd
which does not use a software mixer, the volume control doesn't work,
and that is good.  It sounds a lot clearer.

Can you guys tell me how else I should inspect my system's
configuration for digital manipulation of my music?  Would pulseaudio
introduce this type of manipulation?

- Grant