Re: Microphone works in Pulseaudio, not ALSA

Gordon Hollenbeck wrote:
> I am trying to get my microphone working in ALSA so that it can be used
> in Ventrilo under Wine.
>
> Output of alsa-info.sh: http://pastebin.ca/1012420
>
> I can get the microphone to record under PulseAudio, but playback is
> delayed by ~2 seconds, so using PA is not a real option. Relatedly, I
> can hear myself breathing (into the microphone) but gnome-sound-recorder
> is unable to actually record anything on any of its allowable "Record
> from input" options:
> -Front mic boost
> -Mic boost
> -IEC958
> -Capture
> -Capture 1
> -Digital
>
> According to various google results, I added "model=6stack-dig" as a
> load option for the snd_hda_intel module in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.
> This removed an error message I was receiving from dmesg:
>
> hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC883, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
>
> However it did not make my microphone work. Can someone please help me?
>
> Thanks,
> Gordon H

I notice in your alsa-info.sh output that the mic playback switch is false

   1. control.18 {
   2.                 comment.access 'read write'
   3.                 comment.type BOOLEAN
   4.                 comment.count 2
   5.                 iface MIXER
   6.                 name 'Mic Playback Switch'
   7.                 value.0 false
   8.                 value.1 false
   9.         }

while your front mic playback switch is true.

   1. control.21 {
   2.                 comment.access 'read write'
   3.                 comment.type BOOLEAN
   4.                 comment.count 2
   5.                 iface MIXER
   6.                 name 'Front Mic Playback Switch'
   7.                 value.0 true
   8.                 value.1 true

So I assume you are using the front mic to record because you can hear
your breathing while trying to record.

What happens if you use   arecord -d 10 -f cd -t wav -D front mic
test.wav  ?
What happens with the same command if you turn off front mic playback
switch ?

Everything looks fine as far as I can tell.  But I'm no expert.