Re: Weird microphone issue

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, James Shatto wrote:
>> High-Z
>> 3.7 V
>> 2.25 V
>> 0 V
>> I have no idea what does the first one means. Does it provides any
>> voltage?
>
>Not sure about the voltage.  But things like electric guitar need high-Z
> (high impedence).  In the Mega Ohms.  As opposed to your standard
> microphone preamp that only has a few Kilo Ohms of impedence.  If that
> much.  I've never seen selectable voltage on any of my cards.  Not that
> anything sold at WalMart would have that.
>
>The DC bias on the old SB cards was about 5V iirc.  The GS battery box I
> formerly linked to provices 9V, which supposedly brings the input level up
> to line level.  For those of us who have cards with no voltage.

Nothing that could construed as phantom voltage (which is normally 50 volts in
the broadcast industry) is visible for either the intel_8xx on the
motherboard, or for the audigy 2 value I use for everything.  I also have an
sb16 but don't recall it as having such a feature either.

So for my edification, what cards DO support this.  Not a comprehensive list
of course, but something I might be able to buy at Circuit City.

>HTH

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered.  I myself would
say that it had merely been detected.
		-- Oscar Wilde