Weird microphone issue

Hello,
I'm having a heck of time trying to figure this out and could really use
some help.

Problem is that I'm able to use an old (crappy) labtec microphone, but the
two different headset microphones I tried, don't pick up a thing.
I've tried the headsets on another computer so I know the headset mics are
working.

Hardware:  ALC888 on a Shuttle XPC SN68SG2 using the snd-hda-intel driver
with a model=6stack-dig option.
All the other functions on the soundcard that I've tried are working.

Software:  Debian unstable.  Tried both the debian packages (Alsa 1.0.15)
and compiling Alsa 1.0.15 from source.

Tried moving all the mic and mic boost sliders in alsamixer to their max
settings and it still didn't record any audio, just background static.

Also plugged the mic into the line-in jack on the back of the computer and
same thing: the old labtec mic worked but the newer headset mics didn't

I'm totally at a loss here.  The old microphone has a plain mono plug and
the headset has a stereo plug but I didn't think that should matter since
it's just a mono signal anyways.  This is a new computer so it should
definitely be able to accept an off the shelf headset.

Looked around and found various asoundrc files with input configurations,
but nothing has worked so far. Tried all the different snd-hda-intel
module options with no success.

Any ideas at all would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Tom

Having a heck of time trying to figure this out and could really use some help.

Hardware:  ALC888 on a Shuttle XPC SN68SG2 using the snd-hda-intel driver.
All the other functions on the soundcard that I've tried are working.

Problem is that I'm able to use an old (crappy) labtec microphone,
but the two different headset microphones I tried, don't pick up a thing.
I've tried the headsets on another computer so I know the headset mics are functional.

Tried moving all the mic and mic boost sliders to their max settings and it still didn't record any audio, just background static.

I'm totally at a loss here.  The old microphone has a plain mono plug and the headset has a stereo plug but I don't think that should matter since it's just a mono signal anyways.
This is a new computer so it should definitely be able to accept an off the shelf headset.
Looked around and found various asoundrc files with input configurations, but nothing has worked so far.
Tried all the different snd-hda-intel module options with no success.  Currently using the module with a model=6stack-dig option.