Re: Terratec Phase 26 USB

Regards!

> This may have to reasons: Do the clicks go away if you play something
> with 48kHz samplerate instead if 44.1kHz? Often USB cards work better
> with "even" samplerates, that are multiples of 1000Hz.

Yes, if I listen a song with a multiple of 1000, subjectively seen, then
the clicks are gone.

> But I think, this problem basically is solved with newer ALSAs. So I
> actually suppose your applications get interrupted by some other
> programs. Two ways out: One is to start sound applications with higher
> realtime priorities. This is the way to go for music making or
> recording. Check out how to set up libpam to allow non-root users to
> achieve higher priorities e.g. like here:
> http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/Realtime_scheduling_for_non-root_users

I tested and I gained experience: It wasn't my process-priority, it was
the hard-disc! Only on great (de-)compressing-jobs I get this effects on
an higher level. Compilation of greater sources works without
sound-problems.
Maybe I should decide between two various kinds of "clicks" :-)

> Hm, I'm puzzled. I actually have no idea why OSS is muted, when ALSA
> is playing just fine. Maybe some other programm is using the
> soundcard? With ALSA, you can open the "default" device several times,
> with OSS this might not work. Try something like "fuser /dev/dsp" to
> find out if some other programm is using the device.

If I list processes on /dev/dsp, I get no other id than the volitonally.
I recompiled kernel, and alsa-oss('ebuild' for oss support in alsa)
serveral times, without any effect.
But I recognized two new events. The first one is: Sometimes, if oss is
the sound-device in amarok, then I can hear "the song" like played in a
few seconds. The other is a modinfo:
        modinfo snd_pcm_oss
        filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/kernel/sound/core/oss/snd-pcm-oss.ko
        alias:          sound-service-?-12
        alias:          sound-service-?-3
        license:        GPL
        author:         Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxx>, Abramo Bagnara
        <abramo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        depends:        snd,snd-pcm,snd-mixer-oss
        vermagic:       2.6.22-gentoo-r8 SMP mod_unload PENTIUM4
        parm:           dsp_map:PCM device number assigned to 1st OSS
        device. (array of int)
        parm:           adsp_map:PCM device number assigned to 2nd OSS
        device. (array of int)
        parm:           nonblock_open:Don't block opening busy PCM
        devices. (bool)
Are the lines "alias: sound-service-?-12" ( ?... ???), and "parm:
nonblock_open:Don't block opening busy PCM devices." normal?

I also removed xine-configurations, and tested oss-device as root. No
achievement.
And on "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp" I get "bash: /dev/dsp: Das Gerät
oder die Ressource ist belegt"(Device or resource is busy). But fuser -l
says it's empty.

Could a debug of runlevel-alsa be helpfull (With my layeyes I couldn't
find something interesting)?

by then Happy Easter,
Jan