Re: Terratec Phase 26 USB

Hallo,
Jan Widera hat gesagt: // Jan Widera wrote:

> I followed your instructions, aplay and arecord seems to be working
> without reservation!

Great! So at least we know that the card is working and not broken. ;)

> > If you happen
> > to have a 6-channel soundfile as well, you may try to use  "aplay -D
> > hw:0 6channel.wav" as well. Playing just stereo files directly to hw:0
> > doesn't work without conversions.)
>
> I did not test an 6-channel soundfile; couldn't find some quickly but
> catch it up in near future.

I think, it will "Just work"(tm), so no hurry. You could test with
"jackd -d alsa -d hw:0", if you can access all channels separately by
changing connections in qjackctl.

> But new issues are:
> 1. I hear erratic "clicking" noises. Maybe they depend on my
> performance? I've heard about higher cpu-load in connection with
> USB-Sound? I tested it with bzip... pitty, but the frequency of the
> clicks does not really interfere.

This may have to reasons: Do the clicks go away if you play something
with 48kHz samplerate instead if 44.1kHz? Often USB cards work better
with "even" samplerates, that are multiples of 1000Hz.

But I think, this problem basically is solved with newer ALSAs. So I
actually suppose your applications get interrupted by some other
programs. Two ways out: One is to start sound applications with higher
realtime priorities. This is the way to go for music making or
recording. Check out how to set up libpam to allow non-root users to
achieve higher priorities e.g. like here:
http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/Realtime_scheduling_for_non-root_users

For playing mp3 files or videos, another, easier approach is to raise
the buffer sizes of the respective applications. Check their manuals
how this is done.

> 2. OSS is still muted. But xine does recognize the oss(dsp?)-device.
> e.g. I can start applications, which had striked before, but unique
> silent.

Hm, I'm puzzled. I actually have no idea why OSS is muted, when ALSA
is playing just fine. Maybe some other programm is using the
soundcard? With ALSA, you can open the "default" device several times,
with OSS this might not work. Try something like "fuser /dev/dsp" to
find out if some other programm is using the device.

> New list of devices:
> 	aplay -l
> 	**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> 	card 0: USB1648 [PHASE 26 USB(16/48)], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

See, now instead of USB2448 you get USB1648, so all is fine here.

Ciao