Re: Terratec Phase 26 USB

Hallo,
Jan Widera hat gesagt: // Jan Widera wrote:

> I've some troubles to get my 2nd soundcard working.
> First of all:
> My Notebook is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 1556. - I'm running Gentoo on
> it.
> I decided to buy an extern soundcard because my intern(ALC880) was not
> doing well. - The mic Input isn't fully supported yet. - So I bought the
> Terratec Phase 26 USB after I've read that it is potential possible to
> run it(http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=2424).
>
> But I am testing and configuring without any satisfying result since
> three weeks. Sometimes I get sound from alsa, sometimes from oss, but
> neither both at once. If I get sound out of my cards, mostly it's
> horrible. Only the Jack-server in combination with alsa was fair.
> Ah- I want both of them running.

First I would suggest to go without an asound.conf. It's not needed
unless you want to do something special, and your examples don't do
anything special besides renaming the card. Having an asound.conf when
it's not needed is just an additional source of errors. The card works
fine without one.

Then: It seems you're trying to use the 24bit mode.

For the first tests, make sure your card is in it's 16bit mode, where
all 6/2 channels are available. 24bit mode is harder to get right, as
many applications don't handle 24bit correctly - unless you use ALSA's
automatic conversions, but that defies the purpose of setting the card
to one of the higher quality modes. (Jackd handles the 24bit modes
quite well, but e.g. Pd doesn't and probably Amarok doesn't as well.)

To put the card into the 16bit mode, use the buttons on the front.

If that is done and if your card is the first in the system ("hw:0")
you should be able to play through it with e.g. "aplay somefile.wav".
This will use the preconfigured "default" device, which is the Phase26
if you followed my advice and dropped your asound.conf. If you happen
to have a 6-channel soundfile as well, you may try to use  "aplay -D
hw:0 6channel.wav" as well. Playing just stereo files directly to hw:0
doesn't work without conversions.)

Next you may want to try recording with "arecord -f cd somefile.wav".
(Note that the card doesn't have a mixer.)

Please report back if this works, then we'll see further.

Ciao