Re: Mixer problem with cmipci

On Tue, 2007-09-04 08:56:22 +0200, Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-08-30 23:43:26 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > After the FLAC ended, I fired up speaker-test again (and of course
> > > switched off "Four Channel Mode".)  This time, it's different than
> > > before: front center/LFE, front left/right and side left/right are
> > > okay, but rear right/left are highly distorted.
>
> I can reproduce this.
>
> > Register 0x04
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Before:	0x07 << CM_ASFC_SHIFT  |  0x00 << CM_DSFC_SHIFT  |  CM_BREQ
> > After:	0x07 << CM_ASFC_SHIFT  |  0x07 << CM_DSFC_SHIFT  |  CM_BREQ
> >
> > (DAC Sample Frequency changed)
>
> 0 is the power-on default of 5512 Hz, 7 is 48 kHz.
> "DAC" and "ADC" aren't quite the correct names, both DMA channels can
> be used for either playback and capture, and the driver uses one for
> stereo and the other for multichannel playback.
>
> Does the FLAC file have a sample rate of 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz?

44.1kHz:

$ sndfile-info 04_my_immortal.flac

Version : libsndfile-1.0.17

File : 04_my_immortal.flac
Length : 28262646

Sample Rate : 44100
Frames      : 11651808
Channels    : 2
Format      : 0x00170002
Sections    : 1
Seekable    : TRUE
Duration    : 00:04:24.213
Signal Max  : 31624 (-0.31 dB)

> > Register 0x18
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Before:	CM_TXVX  |  CM_FM_EN  |  CM_AC3EN2  | CM_VIDWPPRT  |                  CM_ENCENTER  |  CM_FLINKOFF
> > After:	CM_TXVX  |  CM_FM_EN  |  CM_AC3EN2  | CM_VIDWPPRT  | CM_SPDF_AC97  |  CM_ENCENTER  |  CM_FLINKOFF
> >
> > (SPDIF/Out changed from 44.1kHz to 48kHz)
> >
> > My guess is that the change to SPDIF/Out frequency and DAC Sample
> > Frequency are annoying at best, but irrelevant here. Am I probably
> > right that the changed ch0 format is the cause of the distortion?
>
> I think it's the sample rate.
>
> It seems I can 'cure' the distortion by playing a 48 kHz file before
> running speaker-test.  Can you confirm this?

After alsaplayer'ing one of the 48kHz files that speaker-test uses
with `-t wav', speaker-test also works as expected.  Confirmed.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:              Alles sollte so einfach wie möglich gemacht sein.