Re: K7VT4APro board (VT8233) - volume doesn't change when using "master" volume

Ingo Müller schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Did you see the softvol master volume howto? If you don't get it to work
> in another way, maybe this one may help you:
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/How_to_use_softvol_to_control_the_master_volume

Yes, I tried, it didn't work.

> If you have any questions or suggestions for the howto, please let me know.

OK, so I followed the guide:

$ aplay -L
default:CARD=V8237
     VIA 8237, VIA 8237
     Default Audio Device
front:CARD=V8237,DEV=0
     VIA 8237, VIA 8237
     Front speakers
surround40:CARD=V8237,DEV=0
     VIA 8237, VIA 8237
surround41:CARD=V8237,DEV=0
     VIA 8237, VIA 8237
surround50:CARD=V8237,DEV=0
     VIA 8237, VIA 8237
surround51:CARD=V8237,DEV=0
     VIA 8237, VIA 8237
iec958:CARD=V8237,DEV=0
     VIA 8237, VIA 8237
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null

It wasn't clear for me what is meant by:

"To test this device, use:
speaker-test -D<device name> -c<channel number> -twav"

Especially, what is the <device>, and the <channel number>.

I tried "CARD=V8237", "VIA 8237", and in the end, "default" and "front"
worked, combined with a channel of 0 or 1.
Perhaps it needs some clarification.

Then, I began to create .asoundrc:

$ cat .asoundrc
pcm.softvol {
     type            softvol
     slave {
         pcm         "default"
     }
     control {
         name        "testdevice"
         card        0
     }
}

Running speaker-test confirmed I get some audio:
$ speaker-test -Dsoftvol -c0 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.14rc2

Playback device is softvol
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
WAV file(s)
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 32 to 32768
Period size range from 16 to 16384
Using max buffer size 32768
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 8192
was set buffer_size = 32768
  0 - Front Left
Time per period = 0,867245
  0 - Front Left

Then, I followed the "Make applications use it" part of the guide, and
this is where I got stuck - to the bottom of .asoundrc I added:

pcm.!default {
     type             plug
     slave.pcm       "softvol"
}

Now, it doesn't work anymore:

$ speaker-test -Dsoftvol -c0 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.14rc2

Playback device is softvol
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
WAV file(s)
ALSA lib conf.c:4036:(snd_config_check_hop) Too many definition levels
(looped?)

Playback open error: -22,Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:4036:(snd_config_check_hop) Too many definition levels
(looped?)

Playback open error: -22,Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:4036:(snd_config_check_hop) Too many definition levels
(looped?)

Playback open error: -22,Invalid argument

Google didn't reveal much information about "Too many definition levels".

My whole .asoundrc looks like that:

$ cat .asoundrc
pcm.softvol {
     type            softvol
     slave {
         pcm         "default"
     }
     control {
         name        "testdevice"
         card        0
     }
}

pcm.!default {
     type             plug
     slave.pcm       "softvol"
}

So still, I don't know how to configure the audio device so that it
works properly (including regulating volume using master fader.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org