Trying to improve my alsa/pulseaudio/mythtv setup

OK, my setup

Intel D945GTP board, optical link to 5.1 amp and normal stereo line out
to TV's scart input (custom interlaced 720x576 csync PAL VGA->scart too)

Running Fedora Core 6 with latest updates and mythtv with dependencies
from atrpms, this includes ALSA 1.0.13

I started off without any soundserver, alsa sees the Intel HDA, in gnome
volme control I can select S/PDIF output, mythtv plays TV sound happily
through /dev/dsp or /dev/adsp or ALSA:hw:0 also AC3 passthrough from
DVDs works fine. If I use the line out, mythtv can control the volume
mixer, if I use optical out, mythtv cannot, so I have to manually
control volume.

I suppose I could have just asked here or on pulseaudio list first off
will using pulseaudio allow me to have 2.0/5.1 audio with a software
mixer that myth will be able to control, and still output via the S/PDIF
but where would the fun be in not trying it myself? I've already learnt
more about alsa/pulse, and as I understand it's slated for inclusion in
Fedora7 that's not bad thing.

I heard about pulseaudio from LCA2007, and installed pulseaudio 0.9.5
from Fedora Extras.

I ran "pulseaudio -C"
the automatically detected ALSA sink was using hw:0,0 so output from
aplay/paplay went to lineout, and stereo sound worked ok

I then did an unload-module on the alsa sink (index 0) and
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw0,1
so that the only sink was now my optical output
stereo sound worked ok, I tried with the 5.1 wav file samples from
www.sr.se and all channels work fine with paplay :-)

I added the pcm/ctl entries for pulse to /etc/asound.conf
but couldn't use -Dpulse with aplay, I realised that Fedora Core/Extras
doesn't ship with the libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so so I retrieved the
source for alsa-plugins, and built it and installed them (they went to
/usr/lib/lib-alsa/ so I moved them to /usr/lib64/lib-alsa/

Now stereo sounds work with aplay using -Dpulse, but 5.1 doesn't work, I
get hissy/random noises, so probably my channel map isn't correct.

I tried setting mythtv to use ALSA:pulse for it's 2.0 output, if I start
mythfrontend with -v debug I can see from the logs that it is opening
pcm device pulse, but gets a message

2007-02-02 16:03:48.723 Opening ALSA audio device 'pulse'.
2007-02-02 16:03:48.732 AudioOutput Error: Access type not available:
Invalid argument
2007-02-02 16:03:48.732 AudioOutput Error: Unable to set ALSA parameters

I'm wondering if anyone else has mythtv working with it's audio going
into ALSA via the pulse driver?

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Andy.