snd-emu10k1/audigy understand mixer controls and ac3 passthru problems

Hello,

i have some small problems with my new audigy (1 ES, Model sb0160
SigmaTel STAC9721,23) card.

At first, ac3 passthru don't work _without_ ld10k1 and init_audigy
script. The ICE958 Optical RAW Switch goes on during playing and all
currently played pcm streams are off, but my receiver gets no ac3
signal.
After starting ld10k1 and loading the initials with init_audigy script
everything works fine.

I've checked the asound.state differences during playback of pcm and or
ac3 with and without ld10k1.
But i can't see any major difference except control numbering and some
missing controls on both sides (or named differently).

Next i have some problem to understand the mixer controls.
At first there is no Mute-Control for: (independent of ld10k1 loaded or
not) Master, PCM, PCM-*, Front, Surround, ...
This is a real pity.

Furthermore it makes no sense to me why there are all surround controls
are twice.
I have the following:
- PCM
- PCM Center
- PCM Front
- PCM Surround
- PCM LFE
- Front
- Center
- Surround
- LFE

The following mixer controls are working if i'm using:
default playback profile (2ch stereo):
- PCM
- Front
- Master

surroundXX:
- PCM Front
- Master

I can't check the surround/center/lfe controls. Cause i'm using only
toslink-spdif output.
What are the difference between "PCM Front" and "Front"? Whats the use
of "PCM" control?

Thats all (except ac3 passthru) not a real problem. But it's confusing
for users. Perhaps someone can clarify some of these things.

--
Markus Schulz