Re: Trying to improve my alsa/pulseaudio/mythtv setup

On 02/02/07, Andy Burns <alsa-project.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I suppose I could have just asked here or on pulseaudio list first off
> will using pulseaudio allow me to have 2.0/5.1 audio with a software
> mixer that myth will be able to control, and still output via the S/PDIF
> but where would the fun be in not trying it myself? I've already learnt
> more about alsa/pulse, and as I understand it's slated for inclusion in
> Fedora7 that's not bad thing.
>
> I heard about pulseaudio from LCA2007, and installed pulseaudio 0.9.5
> from Fedora Extras.

Pulse Audio does not support SPDIF AC3/DTS output. Only PCM.
Due to the nature of AC3/DTS, the PC cannot control the volume. The
external amp/decoder is the only thing that can control volume.
There is one possibility though.
Get the application to output 5.1 (6 PCM channel) to ALSA, and use the
ALSA AC3 encoder plugin to re-encode it back to AC3 just before
sending it to the external amp/decoder. You will then have volume
control in the application.

James