Re: RME HDSP and Suse 10.1, will NOT work...

Tim Barker schrieb:
> The card appears to be recognised by the system, the red light on the front
> of the breakout box does extinguish on startup as expected (and even
> extinguishes when inserting the card while the system is running, which
> surprised me).
hotplug should work. this is ok.
> I've used the modules.d/sound script for the hdsp as
> suggested in several emails and websites.  The problem is the card doesn't
> appear in Jack, Qjackctl or many other things.
How do you check? have a look in /proc/asound/cards if your hdsp is
mentioned there.
Does hdspmixer work?

If everything seems ok, write the following in your .asoundrc (create
the file if it doesn't exist in your home directory):

pcm.multiface_test {
            type plug
            ttable.0.0 1
            ttable.1.1 1
            slave.pcm {
                    type hw
                    card 0
            }
}

and then try
aplay -D multiface_test SOME_WAVE_FILE.WAV
(you have to change the card number 'card 0' if the hdsp is not the
first card in your system. you can get the card number from
/proc/asound/cards)

If aplay runs fine, you can try to find out how to get sound out of the
multiface => matrix mixer settings, see here:
http://alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=RME&card=Hammerfall+DSP+9652.&chip=FPGA&module=hdsp
and/or
use hdspmixer

> Whilst "hdspconf" works fine
> and even under a shell recognising the card and responding, "hdsploader"
> does not (refer listing #1 below), I get the same error message I received
> before.
You don't need to use the hdsploader by hand. The firmware gets loaded
automitically.
> I have read that I need to use Version 10 of the pcmcia card
> firmware (I'm running version 11) but have no method of moving back to the
> old firmware (despite what everybody says there appears to be no software on
> the RME site that allows one to go backwards and I have all of the old
> loader programmes on my harddrive anyway).  Are there other commands
> required when loading the module (hdsp.ko)?

isn't the module name 'snd-hdsp.ko'?

>where do they go? What other
> commands are needed to get the box to work?

I don't have any experience regarding the firmware version problem as
I'm only using 'older' hdsp cards.