Re: RME HDSP and Suse 10.1, will NOT work... # 2

>> I've used the modules.d/sound script for the hdsp as suggested in
>> several emails and websites.  The problem is the card doesn't appear
>> in Jack, Qjackctl or many other things.
>How do you check? have a look in /proc/asound/cards if your hdsp is
mentioned there. Does hdspmixer work?

#cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [I82801CAICH3   ]: ICH - Intel 82801CA-ICH3
                      Intel 82801CA-ICH3 with AD1886A at 0x4000, irq 5
 1 [DSP            ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP
                      RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface at 0x24000000, irq 11

As per prior listing.

Yes, hdspmixer does work from both a menu and a console window.

>If everything seems ok, write the following in your .asoundrc (create the
file if it doesn't exist in your >home directory):

>pcm.multiface_test {
>            type plug
>            ttable.0.0 1
>            ttable.1.1 1
>            slave.pcm {
>                    type hw
>                    card 0
>            }
>}
>

>and then try
>aplay -D multiface_test SOME_WAVE_FILE.WAV
>(you have to change the card number 'card 0' if the hdsp is not the first
card in your system. you can get >the card number from
>/proc/asound/cards)

File .asoundrc does exist in home directory but contains listing starting
pcm.hdsp... From http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7024#comment-9587
Structure seems to be the same.  But I mv-ed to .asoundrc.old and recreated
with your listing...

Didn't work immediately so rebooted...
Wow, does work with hdspmixer loaded but not otherwise,  I think I have made
some progress, many thanks.  Now I need to work out how to use JACK etc and
working with a recording prog...  Back to the reading post.  But first might
change back to the old listing and see whether that works as above. Yup,
works as hdsp_analog as per the listing but does need to have the hdspmixer
running (at least to start with).

At last I think I have made some progress.  I'll check the other page as
suggested.

Many thanks again, you have helped to restore some sanity in my daily life.

> The card appears to be recognised by the system, the red light on the
> front of the breakout box does extinguish on startup as expected (and
> even extinguishes when inserting the card while the system is running,
> which surprised me).
hotplug should work. this is ok.