Re: asfxload on 2.6.18.3 - and now only one note

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Saturday 25 November 2006 19:52, you wrote:
>
>>Nigel Henry wrote:

>>>I don't know if I can be of much help, but looked back on my notes for
>>>various sound stuff on Sarge.  One thing I seemed to have needed to do
>>>was to comment out with a "#" awe_wave in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d .
>>>Also, and I know I'm using an Audigy2 Soundblaster card, using the
>>>emu10k1 driver, but I had to add "snd-emu10k1-synth" to /etc/modules so
>>>that I could load soundfonts.
>>>
>>>I'm clutching at straws here, but the Alsa Soundcard Matrix shows both
>>>"SB16" and "Emu8000" listed for these AWE cards,
>>>and /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/kernel/sound/isa/sb shows a
>>>"snd-emu8000-synth.ko"  . It might be worth modprobing snd-emu8000-synth
>>>and see if you can load soundfonts after doing so.  If it works you can
>>>add the module to /etc/modules , as I have had to do with my
>>>snd-emu10k1-synth module.
>>
>>Thanks for the reply. As you will see from my second message which
>>crossed with your reply, you were on the right lines. It looks as if I
>>can now load sound fonts and it was because of these modules with "-" in
>>their names which I had missed.
>>
>>This puts me back where I was yesterday: asfxload appears to load sound
>>fonts (at least it does not complain), but aplaymidi only produces the
>>first note (evidence that at least part of the font really was loaded, I
>>guess) before appearing to livelock.
>>
>>A Lawrence
>

> Hi. You can check out if the soundfont is loaded with.
> cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1 (just change the card # if your card is
> different) . For example mine shows for a 4MB soundfont from the soundcards
> cdrom.
>
> djmons@debian:~$ cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1
> Device: Emu10k1
> Ports: 4
> Addresses: 65:0 65:1 65:2 65:3
> Use Counter: 0
> Max Voices: 64
> Allocated Voices: 0
> Memory Size: 134217728
> Memory Available: 130191678
> Allocated Blocks: 489
> SoundFonts: 1
> Instruments: 3560
> Samples: 488
> Locked Instruments: 3560
> Locked Samples: 488
> djmons@debian:~$

Thanks again. And yes I have checked /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1 and
it shows a font loaded. And the entries look sensible, although I woul
like to know where this is documented apart from the sources. I did grep
around in the alsa driver sources, but did not find anything very
helpful at a first glance.

> It may be also worth downloading Qsynth. You can load your soundfont onto
> that, but I think you'd have to use Kmid to play it through Qsynth.

I did try something like that yesterday, but it seemed not to want to
run because of the problems :-(

> I see also that I have TiMidity on Sarge, and that plays midi fine, without
> involving the soundcards hardware synth, and incidentally doesn't crash,
> which I've found Kmid often does.

I have not used Kmid, but I have used many other midi players without
problems on this machine in the past. So I know this can all work
reliably and well.

I found another thread with someone experiencing this "just one note"
problem, but the thread just seemed to end without any conclusion, at
least in the archives...

When I run

aplaymidi --port 17:0 haydn_allegro.midi

it plays just the one note and then hangs:

At the same time /proc/asound/seq/queues gives
queue 0: [aplaymidi]
owned by client    : 128
lock status        : Locked
queued time events : 0
queued tick events : 401
timer state        : Running
timer PPQ          : 384
current tempo      : 833333
current BPM        : 72
current time       : 0.000000000 s
current tick       : 0

so it looks indeed as if the first event gets through, but then nothing
else. Running
  aplaymidi --port 17:0 haydn_allegro.midi
under strace shows that the last call (in the parent thread) is

ioctl(3, SNDRV_SEQ_IOCTL_SET_CLIENT_POOL, 0xbf8f1130) = 0

Can anyone throw any light on this, or direct me to where this state is
documented?

Thanks for the help so far. Perhaps this should be a new thread for
"only one note..." ?

A Lawrence