Re: udio clients block - how to start troubleshooting?

This was solved today --- turns out the problem is that the Omnibook
800CT/166 exhausts available interrupts with sound, serial, parallel, and
irda; when adding a PCMCIA card (NIC) the machine appears to deprive sound
of use of it's interrupt. I tried disabling all of these peripherals and
re-ran alsa configuration (as 8-bit soundlblaster, although I suspect the
ESS driver would be the same outcome). This allowed sound operation to
proceed normally.

>Message: 2
>Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 09:46:03 -0700
>From: "david feldman" <wb0gaz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject:  Audio clients block - how to start
>	troubleshooting?
>To: alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Cc: wb0gaz@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>I'm working on fresh install of the "puppy" linux distribution (version
>2.12) on an older machine, a HP Omnibook 800CT. It is a 166 MHz Pentium
>with
>80M RAM, circa 1998 or so.
>
>The machine is distributed with alsa wizard version 1.08, which finds the
>sound peripheral for the machine (snd-es18xx).
>
>/proc/asound/version reports version 1.0.12rc1.
>/proc/asound/card0 is linked to ES1887.
>/proc/asound/modules contains snd_es18xx.
>/proc/asound/pcm includes "ESS AudioDrive ES1887 : playback 2 : capture 1"
>/proc/asound/cards includes "ESS1887 at 0x220, irq 5, dma1 1, dma2 0"
>
>The problem I've found is that applications using the sound interface can
>neither record nor playback - in both cases no data is transferred.
>Alsamixer version 1.0.11 appears to control the sound device properly
>(increasing master volume to maximum makes a hiss begin to appear in the
>machine's speakers, and increasing the mic gain above about 20% begins to
>cause feedback.) When I try to use a sound-based application, CPU
>utilization remains at idle level. I tried arecord -d 3 testfile and it
>hangs until I manually interrupt it. I tried aplay (followed by one of the
>.wav files in the distribution - about 4k bytes long), and while aplay
>reports the type of audio in the file and appears to try to start sound
>output (a click is hear in the laptop speaker), it then pauses for about 10
>seconds then exits.
>
>How do I approach troubleshooting this? I have no prior experience with
>alsa, so perhaps I am missing something obvious.
>
>Thanks very much,
>
>Dave
>wb0gaz@xxxxxxxxxxx

Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends
list.