Re: xfs_fsr, sunit, and swidth

On 4/15/2013 3:35 PM, Dave Hall wrote:
> Stan,
>
> I understand that this will be an ongoing problem.  It seems like all I could do at this point would be to ' manually defrag' my inodes the hard way by doing this 'copy' operation whenever things slow down.  (Either that or go get my PHD in file systems and try to come up with a better inode management algorithm.)  I will be keeping two copies of this data going forward anyways.
>
> Are there any other suggestions you might have at this time - xfs or otherwise?

I'm no expert in this particular area, so I'll simply give the sysadmin 101 perspective:

Always pick the right tool for the job.  If XFS isn't working satisfactorily for this job and no fix is forthcoming, I'd test EXT4 and JFS to see if either of them is more suitable for this job.

The other option is to switch to a backup job that doesn't create/delete millions of hard links.

There are likely other possibilities.

--
Stan