Re: High latencies writing to a memory mapped file

On 27.07.2010 13:59, Kinzel, David wrote:
> >> Matthias Schniedermeyer put forth on 7/27/2010 4:24 AM:

> >for a few
> >happend with 2.6.25)
> >>

> The server hangs, or the connections to samba do? I've found that samba

That's a question i actually hadn't though about. This certainly extends
the circle of possible culprits a little. From the top of my mind thats
the the NIC (Intel e100) and it's e100-driver and the (As Cheap as
possible) 24-port 100MBit-Switch used to connect all computers. And last
but not least the whole TCP/IP network-stack in the kernel.

This also differentiates "our" server to the mentioned "copy" which uses
whichever GBit-NIC that was onboard (Something from Realtek AFAIR) to
the a tree of even cheaper 5 and 8 port switches, not to mention
on-the-fly-wiring.

> is given a ridiculously low IO priority so that any IO on the server
> will pretty much cause it to stall -- be it updating locate, a backup
> job, etc.

Whatever the culprit is, in our case it's something that changed between
2.6.25 and 2.6.26, before 2.6.26 we were happy with whatever was current
for years. (System is running a reguarly updated Debian SID for at least
6-7 years)

And the most irritating things is the "a reboot fixes it". When the
problem reared it's head, you can restart samba, drop all caches,
umount/decompose the RAID and whatnot, the problem immediatly reappears
after you get back to working conditions.

Bis denn