Re: High latencies writing to a memory mapped file

On 22.07.2010 09:47, Shawn Bohrer wrote:

I can't help with your exact problem, but this reminds me of a quite
similar looking problem i have.

We have a linux-computer with samba to act as a fileserver for a few
Windows-Clients and ever since kernel 2.6.26 (Never happend with 2.6.25)
the server randomly "hangs" for a few seconds (Which is more of a
problem that drives people crazy). It takes about 1-2 weeks for the
symtoms to show and only a reboot of the computer "cures" it (for
another 1-2 weeks).

Because of the long incubation period and the whole slew of subsystems
(and samba) involded, i never had the drive to debug this, as a "quick"
reboot every 1-2 weeks only takes about 2 minutes.

With "whole slew of subsystems" in mean:
Hardware: SATA on onboard-controller (Intel G41-Chipset(ICH7) with
PIIX-driver, because BIOS is crippled and doesn't allow AHCI)
(Hardware itself is unlikly to be be at fault, because a few month ago
the complete computer and HDDs were switched, but the problem persisted)

Kernel:
Currently 2.6.32(-5, Debian SID), first seen with 2.6.26 (vanilla)

Drivers/Filesystem:
md(RAID1), loop-aes, XFS
(I tried logbufs=8,logbsize=256k,nobarrier, no apparent changes. I'm
not 100% sure if i tried other schedulers, but i think i did)

And finally Samba on top.

As i had to reboot the computer just yesterday, and will have to power
down the server over the weekend because we are moving, it will be at
least 2-3 weeks before i anticipate the problem to resurface.
In case anybody has an idea what i could do to identify and/or isolate
the root-cause, i'm open for suggestions.

Bis denn