Re: High latencies writing to a memory mapped file

On 27.07.2010 08:28, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Matthias Schniedermeyer put forth on 7/27/2010 4:24 AM:
>
> > We have a linux-computer with samba to act as a fileserver for a few
> > Windows-Clients and ever since kernel 2.6.26 (Never happend with 2.6.25)
> > the server randomly "hangs" for a few seconds (Which is more of a
> > problem that drives people crazy).
>
> Can you supply any kinda of empirical data or logging that would suggest the
> problem lies with XFS?  You've not given us much to go on except anecdote.
>
> Google "linux server hangs" and you'll find thousands of causes and solutions.

The "best" further anecdote i have is:
I cloned(*) the server, on identical hardware (ignoring HDDs), for
someone else with 2 major differences.
- no loop-aes, as they didn't need encryption.
- ext4 instead of xfs

That machine has currently an uptime of 180 days and i don't have a
single report of a "hang". (Which technically doesn't mean that the
machine doesn't have that same bug. Only that no one ever complained to
me)

For empirical data: I don't know how or where to start.

*:
In the best sense of the word.
As the first step i 'rsync'ed the "system"-HDD of our server to a new
HDD. ...

Bis denn