Re: 4.5.0 fonts sanity check

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:32:59PM -0800, Jim Osborn wrote:
>While I continue trying to restore fonts to my KDE konsoles, I'd like
>to make sure the X end of things is solid.  To that end, I've removed
>everything from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts except the URW symlink to
>/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts, and extracted the tarballs from 4.5.0:
>Xfnts.tgz Xf100.tgz Xfscl.tgz Xfcyr.tgz and Xfenc.tgz.  After reading
>the README.fonts and RELNOTES files and the manpages for mkfontdir,
>mkfontshare, xfs, fontenc, X and Xserver, I'm left with these questions:
>
>Since the 4.5.0 tarballs contain fonts.dir, fonts.scale and encodings.dir
>files in each of the fonts directories, is it still necessary to run
>mkfontscale/mkfontdir as part of the installation?  How about fc-cache?
>
>Perhaps it's just a rephrasing of the questions above, but unless I
>want to install additional fonts, is it necessary to do anything else,
>besides install the tarballs, to set up 4.5.0 fonts?

They should be complete if you don't have additional fonts.

Our installer script does run mkfontdir (and fc-cache), primarily to take
into account additional fonts that may already have been present.

>If I do run mkfontscale/mkfontdir, should I give the -e arg pointing
>to the encodings and encodings/large directories?

It shouldn't matter.  The font library knows to look for an encodings.dir
file in .../lib/X11/fonts/encodings if it doesn't find one in the font's
directory.  We probably don't even need to install the per-directory copy
anymore.

>If I'm a self-contained workstation, is it best to run the font
>server, xfs, or just rely on the fontpaths in the XF86Config file?
>If I do use xfs, should I also include all the relevant fontpaths
>in XF86Config, or just the reference to the font server?

There are pros and cons to this.  Using xfs allows core font processing
to happen in a separate thread to the X server.  One the other hand, one
prominent vendor's reliance on this has resulted in a failure point for
a lot of people.

I used to always run a local font server for the scalable fonts combined
with direct references to the bitmap font paths.  These days I don't
usually bother with the font server other than in multi-seat environments
where I want central control and a consistent view of the core fonts
across those seats.

As to your problem with KDE consoles, try starting one under strace.  It
might give you some hints as to what is going wrong.

David