4.5.0 fonts sanity check

While I continue trying to restore fonts to my KDE konsoles, I'd like
to make sure the X end of things is solid.  To that end, I've removed
everything from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts except the URW symlink to
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts, and extracted the tarballs from 4.5.0:
Xfnts.tgz Xf100.tgz Xfscl.tgz Xfcyr.tgz and Xfenc.tgz.  After reading
the README.fonts and RELNOTES files and the manpages for mkfontdir,
mkfontshare, xfs, fontenc, X and Xserver, I'm left with these questions:

Since the 4.5.0 tarballs contain fonts.dir, fonts.scale and encodings.dir
files in each of the fonts directories, is it still necessary to run
mkfontscale/mkfontdir as part of the installation?  How about fc-cache?

Perhaps it's just a rephrasing of the questions above, but unless I
want to install additional fonts, is it necessary to do anything else,
besides install the tarballs, to set up 4.5.0 fonts?

If I do run mkfontscale/mkfontdir, should I give the -e arg pointing
to the encodings and encodings/large directories?

If I'm a self-contained workstation, is it best to run the font
server, xfs, or just rely on the fontpaths in the XF86Config file?
If I do use xfs, should I also include all the relevant fontpaths
in XF86Config, or just the reference to the font server?

TIA,

Jim